Joliet State Prison

I captured this photograph last weekend at the Old Joliet Prison in Joliet, Illinois. This is the East Cellhouse which was opened in 1865. The prison operated until 2002--when it closed and relocated its prisoners. In 2018, the prison finally opened its gates to visitors. So, I was pleased to get an opportunity to visit and photograph the old site.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks for looking...
Glenn

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That is really cool. There is deep decay that comes out well with your processing.
Thanks Allan...much appreciated
I agree with Allan. The processing and monochrome presentation brings out the texture of the decay and the cold lifeless feeling of what it must be like to be imprisoned.
Thank you, Walter. This old prison isn't a place where anybody would want to stay. The cells are very small and the prison still doesn't have running water. The original cell has a bunk bed in it. There wouldn't be enough room to slide another bed in that cell. Two prisoners were housed in that cell...they were provided with pails rather than a toilet. There would not have been room in that cell for a toilet or sink.

Glenn

The photo so clearly displays how the ravages of time affect a building when it is no longer being maintained.
Thanks Mike...I very much enjoy photographing scenes of architectural decay.
Wow. If walls could talk, these would be screaming their stories.
I personally have always been amazed how often we photograph abandoned places. They have such wonderful stories.
Gary
There are certainly many interesting stories that came out of the Joliet State Prison! I very much enjoy photographing abandoned places and scenes of urban decay. For me, I think it is because of the textures.

Glenn

An exceptionally strong and poignant image, Glenn!
Excellent composition and processing.

I wonder how much "better" it looked when it when it was still operational.
The phrase "ye who enter here abandon all hope" comes to mind.

Probably the most depressing photo ever shared here! So well done, Glenn.
Thanks Nick...depressing is what I was hoping to achieve!
Very nice work. Interesting place.
No mementos from the Blues Brothers?
Thank you, Alex...they did have some references to the Blues Brothers. Apparently, the gate leading out to Collins Street was not operational when the movie was being produced. The movie production company paid $120,000 (in today's dollars) to repair the gate for one scene in the film.
An exceptionally strong and poignant image, Glenn!
Excellent composition and processing.

I wonder how much "better" it looked when it when it was still operational.
The phrase "ye who enter here abandon all hope" comes to mind.
Thanks Bart...I'm sure that this prison was never a welcome sight. But, the architecture is quite impressive. The walls and towers were constructed out of limestone from a local quarry--and the gothic style architecture seems most appropriate for the building. I'll be posting a set of images from the prison soon.

Glenn

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Just a heads up, a few folks suggested we feature your thread with many images, instead of this single one, so I swapped the feature thread. Outstanding work.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom