Journey to a Lonely Place

Two days ago we had the great experience of riding our RZR 33 miles each way to a very remote location in the Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness area. It is called Pinion Peak. The peak is almost 10,000 foot in elevation and has a fire lookout tower built in the 1930s on the top. The tower is still in operation.

We started out on the Yankee Fork of the Salmon River near an old gold dredge.

p1755556437.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

We quickly gained elevation and about an hour into the ride crossed over a pass at about 9,000 ft. elevation. The view from here looked down into a working mine...we think they mine gold there.

p1688335379.png

There were some beautiful streams to ride along.

View attachment 1214870

As the day progressed we ended up in an area that was burned by the massive Halsted fire that ravaged central Idaho last year. Sorry about this blown out snapshot with my phone, but I wanted to show that some of the areas are still totally black with no signs of life coming back yet.

View attachment 1214872

Other areas have some vegetation coming back. Loved this old truck in a burned out area. This area might have not burned last year but burned in an earlier fire.

View attachment 1214873

View attachment 1214874

After many miles of climbing our destination came into view. It's the small building at the top of this peak. You actually ascend to it on the other side of the peak.

View attachment 1214875

To be continued....

Finally, after 3 1/2 hours we reached the summit. We weren't sure we were going to make it because we heard the trail had been washed out in places. But luckily a Jeep club has been there earlier in the day and repaired the road.

You park next to the lovely bathroom facilities. They were very rough...an old wooden throne.

p1613766417.png

We had been here before and the tower employee wouldn't let us close to the building, but this time we were greeted with, "Come on up and visit!!"

View attachment 1214877

He spends 10 days at the tower, then four days off, but has to drive down the rough roads to spend his days off. There is no electricity, refrigeration, or running water. He does have a propane range and stove. There is a little grounded stool that he has to stand on during electrical storms. He said that they are "exciting". I think that must be an understatement.

Inside the tower was a photographic challenge. I tried to expose for the highlights so the views would show up, and hoped I could bring up the shadows in post processing.

View attachment 1214878

How would you like to wake up to this view!!

View attachment 1214879

View attachment 1214880

View attachment 1214881

View attachment 1214882

I didn't crop the next one, because I loved how the maps were hung on the ceiling.

View attachment 1214883

View of a distant fire he was monitoring.

View attachment 1214884

View of the road we ascended on.

View attachment 1214885

View attachment 1214886

Coming back down, we had a nicer view of the gold mine. It was a fabulous day.

p1853410013.jpg

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Terry, these are marvelous! And while I would love to wake up to such a view, I think I'd have to give that tower a pass. Stand on a grounded stool during an electrical storm? Ehhhh...no thanks! :biggrin:

Excellent scenes and narrative - well done!

Terry, these are marvelous! And while I would love to wake up to such a view, I think I'd have to give that tower a pass. Stand on a grounded stool during an electrical storm? Ehhhh...no thanks! :biggrin:

Excellent scenes and narrative - well done!

Thanks, Lyndee. I have to agree about giving the tower a pass. It was fun for a few minutes, though.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom