1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Joys and Tragedies of Flying.

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Hamel, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Hamel

Hamel

Jan 16, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Well I had some inspiration from looking around on Flickr and decided I wanted to grab some aviation related photos sometime this week. Tonight I went over to the airport (KPRC) and waited, and waited, and waited until a plane decided to come in and land. For my first attempt I found it not to shabby. Next time I will try to position myself higher off of the ground and try to get the touchdown point.
    472176963_a1c6d790e3.
    Larger view here:
    http://farm1.static.flickr.com/198/472176963_a1c6d790e3_b.jpg

And then what all pilots fear, or at least never want to happen. This is a recreation of a 1993 crash that took place in Oregon. It is the actual plane that was brought here and assembled just the way the accident investigators found it.
    472244598_c7bfebedcf.
    Larger view here:
    http://farm1.static.flickr.com/197/472244598_c7bfebedcf_b.jpg

Thank you for looking,
    Justin

2. Hamel

Hamel

Jan 16, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Regarding the second photo:

3. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Low altitude stall's are not a recommended maneuver....stir in a little spin and the chances of recovery are just about zero....

I think you have a pretty good picture of what the result would look like. Those kind of maneuvers get people hurt....I suspect the pilot is no longer with us....and I hope he was alone.

The reports show the accident occurred in Burns Oregon...the owner was from Washington state. Why would they set it up in AZ?

EDIT: He (Thomas Grimm) is gone and he was alone.....accidents/N5074Va.htm

It looks like this guy had a previous off field excursion landing in a wheat field after running out of gas...hope you never flew with him....that's a big NO NO on the aviation world...there is NO excuse for fuel exhaustion.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2007
  4. Hyper-Performance

Hyper-Performance

Apr 11, 2007
    SW Ohio, USA
    Dave
    I believe the term for that particular manuever is "augering it in"

5. Hamel

Hamel

Jan 16, 2007
    Boston, MA
    It is set up at our school's Accident Investigation lab. We have about 6 other crashes that students investigate and try to determine the cause of the crash.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.