JPEG comparison shots between D600 and Fuji XE-1

Apple vs Orange but let see how well XF-1/ Fuji 35mm 1.4 againsts Nikon D600 with 50mm 1.8G: regarding to straight-out of camera JPEGs:
And here they come out.
Please guess which ones are which. All are SOOC, JPEGs, Auto WB, A mode, and picture control at Vivid/Nature, and.. boring shots :smile:

1/ At f1.8

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
[/IMG]

[/url]
Untitled[/IMG]

2/ At f2.0

[/url]
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

3/ At f4.0

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

4/ At f2.0

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

hard to tell from an iPad at this size/ resolution but i think i can see the fuji jpeg engine working in the 2nd shot of each series.

D600 will have shallower depth of field so I'd say 2nd shot of each series is Fuji and in fairness I like it more than D600. EX-1 is in my opinion sharper and has more contrast.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
hard to tell from an iPad at this size/ resolution but i think i can see the fuji jpeg engine working in the 2nd shot of each series.
Yes, you're right, Rooz. The second shot of each pair was from XE-1.
I think this is the camera for someone who is lazy/ or not having time to shoot RAWs like me :smile:. Except for slower AF, it competes with D600 very well.

D600 will have shallower depth of field so I'd say 2nd shot of each series is Fuji and in fairness I like it more than D600. EX-1 is in my opinion sharper and has more contrast.
That's what I thought too, shots from Fuji are more contrast, nicer bokeh.. but maybe because the Fuji 35 1.4 is little bit superior to the Nikon 50 1.8G ( hence 3 times more expensive!!1). The Fuji 35 is crazily sharp wide open, very well build..I love it ( except for slow AF)!

That's what I thought too, shots from Fuji are more contrast, nicer bokeh.. but maybe because the Fuji 35 1.4 is little bit superior to the Nikon 50 1.8G ( hence 3 times more expensive!!1). The Fuji 35 is crazily sharp wide open, very well build..I love it ( except for slow AF)!
none of the above imo. it's down to Fuji's in camera jpeg processing. Fuji's SOOC jpegs are second to none. I have been trying to modify the Olympus and the d800e to pull mono's out with the same SOOC quality and its almost impossible. I think you can see quite clearly, even on ipad, the DR advantage of the d600 here.

My conclusion from your pictures? The Fuji handles Auto WB better. When I shot jpeg only that was my biggest gripe about Nikon dSlrs in general. They just have a lot harder time dialing in WB. Even when using an expodisc or dialing in the WB manually it just never really cut it. The D7000 was a huge step in the right direction but still not that great.

My conclusion from your pictures? The Fuji handles Auto WB better. When I shot jpeg only that was my biggest gripe about Nikon dSlrs in general. They just have a lot harder time dialing in WB. Even when using an expodisc or dialing in the WB manually it just never really cut it. The D7000 was a huge step in the right direction but still not that great.
I would agree. Auto WB, particularly skin tone, of Fuji is MUCH better than those of Nikon and Sony. Colors of Fuji are so pleasant.

What were the comparative in-camera processing parameters for each??

Has anyone found adecent (free) RAW processor for the Fuji??

DG

Last edited by a moderator:
What were the comparative in-camera processing parameters for each??

Has anyone found adecent (free) RAW processor for the Fuji??

DG
The one they ship with the camera (free) is OK. Does a nice job but not the most user friendly. Aperture does a really nice job on the files.

That said, for me, the one inside the camera is best if the situation is not too demanding. Easy to use, enough controls to adjust highlights, shadows, exposure, color etc and outputs a beautiful file. Wouldn't want to process a large batch of files that way, though.

Aperture?

Mac only?

I have tried the DNG approach (twice) but it doesn't seem to like Fuji at all - it gives a less than satisfatory result.

DG

DG

some more shots

Nikon D600 and 50mm 1.8G on top, and XE-1/35mm 1.4 on bottom, SOOC, JPEG:

[/url]
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

D600

[/IMG]

XE-1

[/IMG]

look at the massive DR differences there. its enormous.
Yep. Very true. Yet where the details are retained the colors of the Fuji are far more pleasing, at least to me.

I was wondering, though, in the first image why the lines of the Fuji picture are far more straight than the Nikon version. Is there some sort of perspective lens correction enabled in the Fuji processing engine?

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom