JPF/JPX

Using PS 2021, when I save the image my format selection dropdown box does not have the normal number of selections, and no plain JPEG selection. I mistakenly clicked the only JPEG 2000 line and the file is saved in a JPf format and is not viewable.. Frustrated with this, having shot a huge reunion this past weekend. ---- ONCE When saving, the drop down box appeared as normal, and I was able to save that file in familiar steps. I am at the point of deleting and reloading PS. Any suggestions?? I have not shot much since the stroke that affected my sight 3 years ago. I am very rusty. Tks. and cheers.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
It is not a bug, it is intentional. The problem it solves was that if you have a file with layers, saving it as a jpg will lose the layers. The change makes sure that doesn't happen.
If the file is a simple one layer file, you still get all the save options.

There are three ways to work now, to save a jpg from a layered file.
1. File/Save a Copy This will allow you all the file types.
2. Flatten the file before saving. Layer/Flatten Image.
3. Edit/Preferences/File Handling - Use legacy "Save As". (This keeps you stuck in the past, but provides an instant solution so you don't need to adjust.)

It is not a bug, it is intentional. The problem it solves was that if you have a file with layers, saving it as a jpg will lose the layers. The change makes sure that doesn't happen.
If the file is a simple one layer file, you still get all the save options.

There are three ways to work now, to save a jpg from a layered file.
1. File/Save a Copy This will allow you all the file types.
2. Flatten the file before saving. Layer/Flatten Image.
3. Edit/Preferences/File Handling - Use legacy "Save As". (This keeps you stuck in the past, but provides an instant solution so you don't need to adjust.)

Thank you. The JPF save, opens a gray back ground panel with controls for JPF ?? After the futile reload of PS, I attacked this dark panel and found a small low contrast outlined INFO button. The solution I found was to save as COPY, and or press Alt/CTRL/5 for the JPEG format. That works.

I was surprised that so many looked at the post but had nothing to offer, just seems that this issue must have perplexed others at it's inception. It makes no sense to me, that the JPEG line is not available in the initial drop box. No one I share these images with can see them in the JPF. I did use save as, but it seems as though that did not work, so many attempts and so much time spent on this issue.

Point learned, do not stay away from PS with its constant updates that can bedevil you. Now my issue is the clone stamp. I was attempting to use it and now a graduated grid is over my image and I found no way to remove it. When I open a new image it applies the grid to the new image???

This takes me back to 2007, having had PS since 2002, I told an experienced friend, that I guessed it would take another few years to learn PS, he laughed and said he had had PS since in the 90s and still did not know how use it all. True words, I guess only a full time user will conquer the software. As for the grid, I will make another run at it, and then, now that we have good DSL speed, delete and reload. :) Thanks, cheers, stay safe.

now a graduated grid is over my image and I found no way to remove it.

I don't know what a graduated grid is, but check the View menu to determine if one of its menu items toggles the display on and off.

now that we have good DSL speed, delete and reload.

If you mean that you intend to uninstall and reinstall, that's probably an unnecessary time-consuming process.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Thank you. The JPF save, opens a gray back ground panel with controls for JPF ?? After the futile reload of PS, I attacked this dark panel and found a small low contrast outlined INFO button. The solution I found was to save as COPY, and or press Alt/CTRL/5 for the JPEG format. That works.

I was surprised that so many looked at the post but had nothing to offer, just seems that this issue must have perplexed others at it's inception. It makes no sense to me, that the JPEG line is not available in the initial drop box. No one I share these images with can see them in the JPF. I did use save as, but it seems as though that did not work, so many attempts and so much time spent on this issue.

Point learned, do not stay away from PS with its constant updates that can bedevil you. Now my issue is the clone stamp. I was attempting to use it and now a graduated grid is over my image and I found no way to remove it. When I open a new image it applies the grid to the new image???

This takes me back to 2007, having had PS since 2002, I told an experienced friend, that I guessed it would take another few years to learn PS, he laughed and said he had had PS since in the 90s and still did not know how use it all. True words, I guess only a full time user will conquer the software. As for the grid, I will make another run at it, and then, now that we have good DSL speed, delete and reload. :) Thanks, cheers, stay safe.
You shouldn't have selected JPEG2000. Almost no one uses it. Stick to the conventional JPGs.

I did explain why this change has been made by Adobe. It is logical even if one doesn't like the change.
As I explained you can easily save your files as JPGs simply by using File/Save a Copy. (NOT File/Save As). Or the other two solutions I gave.

I don't understand why you think reinstalling PS again will help you.
I don't recall the grid command, but I'm sure a Google search will tell you.
I just tried, how about this: https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/photoshop/using/grid-guides.html

Last edited:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom