Juanita Bay, 04/25/2005 - It Ain't no Catfish Dinner

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Retief, Apr 26, 2005.

1. but I think it will do.

Lighting was "interesting" to say the least. The color of the water is rather strange right now and the sun was getting lower. However, here is what I found:

Feeding Cormorant #1:
    DSC1273Frame.sized.

Feeding Cormorant #2:
    DSC1274Frame.sized.

GBH with Dinner #1:
    DSC1304Frame.sized.

GBH with Dinner #2:
    DSC1306Frame.sized.

We waited, and waited, and waited some more and more for this darned GBH to fly, no joy. And I think it is still there now :lol: .

2. It always amazes me to see these birds choke down a fish bigger than their neck looks able to accomadate. Well taken images Bill.

3. Good stuff, Bill. He is eating a yellow perch and if you ever ate one you would know why. They are one of the tastiest freshwater fish there is.
    Great shots!

4. Now that's what I call fishin'!! :D :D :D :D

5. mrdinh

mrdinh

Mar 8, 2005
    North Dakota
    like the last two bill...wow what swamp...is that near your place?

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Amazing shots Bill. I'm so envious. If I have to take one more duck or goose shot I think I'm going to scream.... 8)

How far is this from where you live?

Frank

7. Thanks, folks.

Gordon, it is quite amazing. One of the volunteers was telling us yesterday that she saw one the Herons take a Norwegian Wood Rat the other day, and that was quite struggle. Would have been a real sight to see.

Dave, you aren't kidding about the Perch. Unfortunately there are "No Fishing" signs all over the place. I really blew a GREAT shot yesterday. As I was focused on the GBH this big old honker of a Carp jumps out the water right in front of the bird. Me, too dang slow on the shutter finger.

Bryan, I was quite surprised to see the GBH miss a couple of times. While we watched he was 2 for 4, I expected better. I think that is still better than my "catch percentage" most days though :oops: .

Phat, this is at Juanita Bay Park in Kirkland, Lake Washington. You remember that place don't you, at least the lake? C'mon, you haven't been gone THAT long :wink: . If we had known more, this would have been a very good place to go with Ron R. when we did the workshop. This cove is just starting to get filled with Lilly Pads and they have not all turned green yet. This is the same place, and the same platform, where I shot the Beavers and Cormorants I posted the other day.

Frank, you are not alone, we ALL scream when we see your goose shots...errr....the Fowl Goose that is :wink: . However, my personal opinion is that shooting a Goose or a Duck in an "artistic" fashion is much better than coming home with images of grass. I mean, lanscapes :?: :?: , how boring :lol: . This place is a true Urban Park, right in the middle of Yuppie-Ville. It is pretty much in between where I work and where I live, about 30-40 minutes without much traffic. They do a superb job of keeping up the boardwalks and good viewing locations. Saw two adult Bald Eagles fly by, but they were in the wrong direction. I need my D2H back and fixed so I can put the 80-200 back on the D70 for those hand-held shots when the Eagles come close. Good news is, the repair is classed as a "redo", no cost at all, at least that is what the web site says.....

Thanks again, folks, I am constantly amazed at what I am finding locally here, much more than I would have thought. And being a lazy slob it is nice to not have to hike too far either :lol: .

Frank, I'll bet you are looking forward to your trip the end of next month eh? I sure wish I could get there a week earlier to see you folks.

8. Nice shots Bill, that second one is a mouthful!

9. Fantastic images cant believe he got that perch down, this cormorants have some appetite. Keep those shots coming bill they are all top shelf. I Hope soon to get out and shoot birds larger than my fist. :wink:

10. Thanks, Harris and Mike, it is nice to have decent weather and get back outdoors. The Indoor Football stuff, while fun, is too darned much like work :lol: .

We saw what we think was a Cormorant chasing a fish underwater. It was hard to tell, as all we could see was the disturbance on the surface of things moving very quickly. Fun to watch, for sure. And I still think seeing a Heron taking a Wood Rat would be a real sight to see.

By the way, my wife is quite happy. We are now starting to get birds at our feeder, Golden and Red Finches so far, hoping for more as they figure out we are here. Should be fun, now I need to add some natural perches.

Thanks to all who have shown advice for "backyard shooting", it is even less walking to get to the subjects :lol: