Juanita Miscellaneous - last couple of weeks

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Retief, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Here are a few from the last few weeks, got to get there when the Osprey show up, maybe tomorrow morning.....

Juanita, birds, right? Well, some days the birds don't show up, but you have another surprise. These three little fellows walked out for about 5 minutes, where they were viewable.

Raccoons:
    [​IMG]

One other day, again very slow, Jim and I saw this GBH, doing what they do best, standing around. But then it looked like it saw something and went after a fish, but differently than I have seen. Rather than diving straight in, it took off...
    [​IMG]

And BINGO...speared a Catfish...
    [​IMG]

Decided it was too big to eat where it was, so off it went...
    [​IMG]
    with the Catfish stuck on its beak.

The bird flew over to a little bit of land and then, over about the next 20-30 minutes, it repeatedly speared and dropped the fish, trying to eat it numerous times before it was finally done. The place it landed was in deep shade, directly into the sun, so no decent images of those bits.

And then Friday afternoon, the Cormorants are returning....
    [​IMG]

2. You have a knack for getting interesting shots Bill and these are no exception. Well done. That catfish will be a stomach full if he can just get ti down. Like the Cormorants.

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Nice shots Bill. You need to come down to the dam with us and shoot some time. There are a couple of dozen of these guys that hang around waiting for TVA to turn the generators on, and then they feast. Sort of like the bears in a salmon run, except these fish are either stunned or dead, so the fishing takes a lot less effort. :rolleyes:

4. Thanks, Gordon, much appreciated. The Heron did finally suck down the catfish, but there was "blood in the water" where he worked so hard to kill it. It was certainly the most interesting feeding sequence I have personally seen.

Not sure why I like the Cormorant shot myself. I was on the way to shoot a High School football game, so I didn't have my 1.4 TC, and this platform is a ways off. Light wasn't great, but there is something almost surreal about the way the bird looks, with that bright orange cheek patch.

How does the background look to you? I tried some PhotoShop stuff to try to make it look less distracting.

Thanks,