Juicy Sigma 20/1.8

Blackcurrants swaying in the wind against setting sun. LoL, that came out more poetic than intended. :smile:

This is one of a series of shots that I am trying to get right in the camera. Until now I have only shot RAW but I set myself into a "purist" mode for this week. Fine/Large JPEG, no post-processing.

Nikon D200
Sigma EX DG 20/1.8
ISO 100 | f/1.8 | 1/500

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I just got mine the other day. Haven't had a real chance to put it through its paces yet, but heres a quickie;

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Nikon D80, Sigma 20mm, 1/15 @ f/1.8, ISO 100, SB-800 bounced off ceiling with built in bounce card.

My first impressions are that the focus mechanism stinks and could really use an HSM update. All the clutch does is disengage the barrel from rotating during auto focus, but you still need to switch both the lens AND the camera to switch between auto and manual focus. If the lens is in AF, but the camera is in MF, you can't focus the lens. It's a dumb system. Tokina's and Tamron's system of disengaging from the camera body's focus motor via the lens' clutch is far superior. It's the main reason I didn't buy Sigma's 105mm Macro.

The lens also seems to have a much redder color cast than my Nikon lenses, but that's easily correctable in post.

It is however, the only thing out there that does what it does, and it seems to be a nice optic.

Peter, when you get your D700, PLEASE post a shot with this lens on that body! I'm curious to see what sort of vignetting happens...
Will do.

I'm not expecting a lot of vignetting but I am a bit concerned about the corner sharpness with large apertures. On the other hand at 20 mm there usually is nothing of interest in the corners at wide open apertures, actually oftentimes the softer the better.

Definitely will post.. a lot. This is a fun lens on DX and on film. I hope it will hold its act together with D700.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom