Juli in the Attic

Discussion in 'People' started by BarkisPhoto, Jul 31, 2008.

1. BarkisPhoto

BarkisPhoto

Jul 20, 2007
    New England
    This image of Juli is from a recent shoot, taken in the attic of an old 19th-century New England house. The brickwork behind Juli is one of the chimneys. Main lighting is from a north-facing window to camera left, with a bit of 'fill' coming from another, smaller window to camera right. A 'sunlite' (gold/silver combination) reflector was used to kick some additional light onto the model from camera right.

[​IMG]

Critique welcome! Thanks for looking ...

Best Regards,

2. Thaddeus

Thaddeus

Jul 24, 2008
    TX
    her right arm is a distraction to me and as i focus on it, i can't help but feel the pose itself is a bit awkward/off balance.

i don't hate it ..just not sure it works for me.

3. nice shot
    but, she doesn't look comfortable in that "pose" to me
    i DO like the light, however

4. BarkisPhoto

BarkisPhoto

Jul 20, 2007
    New England
    Thanks, guys, for taking the time to critique! I appreciate your comments ...

Anyone else?

5. I kinda agree with the comments about the pose, especially the way her left hand is positioned on her knee, maybe a tighter crop would help.

Poses are my weakest point with portraits (not that I'm an expert with everything else), I never know what to do. I focus so much on exposure that I forget to check body position.

What I do really like is the lighting and environment (background), even the choice of clothing, it blends well with the background. I always say this, but nothing beats ambient light.

6. BarkisPhoto

BarkisPhoto

Jul 20, 2007
    New England
    Thanks for your comments, Phil. The light was nice in that environment that day ...

7. yendikeno

yendikeno

Mar 31, 2008
    CA
    Agreed that the lighting is good, but the pose seems somewhat awkward.

8. IMO, this is overlit.

There seems to be little color or character in her skin and the tone of the bricks is so light as to take away any mood.

She looks really fair-skinned but her hair is really dark, thus a large part of her hair is undefined in this image.

I don't think I could do better but I don't think this picture really does the subject justice.

Sorry to be so blunt.

Lew

9. yes, the pose is certainly awkward. i think the only way this floor/wall/dress combination would work for me is if she were further out from the wall laying on the floor in some type of pose so that the red of her dress balanced out the red of the wall because in addition to the awkward pose i think the overdose of red on top also makes it feel off balance.. maybe I'm alone in that thought but that's what I see. i believe this image as it is would have worked much better if she had brought her head slightly forward, chin dropped a little and with the head tilted towards the left a bit. would be more flattering for her face :) But for me.. I don't think i've ever seen an image where someone is backed right up against bricks that I like.. just doesn't ever work for me.

10. BarkisPhoto

BarkisPhoto

Jul 20, 2007
    New England
    Thank you all for your honest critiques! I have a few more from this part of the shoot to process ...

Best Regards,