1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

JULY 1st, NIKON ANNOUNCES....

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR Forum' started by dbguy, Jul 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. So its 12:30 here in southern california, and Nikon has announced their new products on their websites,

http://press.nikonusa.com/

enjoy!

everything is true!

2. Well well well

OMG! I have found the perfect street photography body - that camera looks great on paper and if it is anything like the D3 and D300 ---- It will be great on the street as well ...

The only thing I deplore is that it does not seem to have the focus arrow indicators like on the D3 but ... ppfffffft I'll live without it, now I need to get the money in to buy me one of them :biggrin: (And a couple of SB-900) with a 200/2 and a Noct and I'll be truly photography equipment wise happy... (Oh wait I am already happy with what I have so... Happier :biggrin:) 

Oh and sorry to say but... looks like I will not be buying that 16-85/VR after all...

3. After reading that little bit about the D700 i'm not so excited anymore. Self-cleaning and a pop-up flash to soften the blow of not having everything the D3 does? I'm going to say i'd prefer a D3...

But looking forward to seeing photos of course!!

4. PeteZ28

PeteZ28

Oct 5, 2007
    Newtown, PA
    I must be a lighting geek. I actually checked out the SB-900 first :biggrin:

Looks pretty sweet can't wait to see how it holds up against the D3.

5. latazyo

latazyo

Apr 23, 2008
    STL
    I dont understand why tilting the lenses would be relevant, wouldn't you just tilt the tripod?

or is the purpose so that when you tilt the lens up, its the same as pointing the camera down for closer shots you can point the flash right at the subject?

6. PeteZ28

PeteZ28

Oct 5, 2007
    Newtown, PA
    Latazyo, google "scheimpflug rule". (Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scheimpflug_principle )

You tilt the lens to alter the perspective of the subject to the film plane, so you can change the depth of field. For example, say you take a picture of a newspaper at a 45* angle. The center will be focused and the left and right will be blurry. With a PC tilt/shift lens, you can get almost the entire newspaper in focus, yet still have that 45* perspective.

Basicly like using a view camera but not quite as flexible.

7. This looks awesome. I can finally get a FF camera with high ISO capabilities in a small body. Perfect for portrait work. This new body should be a wedding photographer's dream!

8. The SB-900 looks great - delivers a lot of power from 2 x AA batteries ! Or am I reading it wrong ?

Ahh - on the Uk website it states 2 batteries, on the US one 4 batteries. That would be 4 then.

9. I guess that last years Camera of the Year (D300) is Junk.

Please sell me yours Cheap,you really need the D700.

10. Walter

Walter

Jan 13, 2006
    Columbia, Maryland
    Walter Rowe
    In addition to depth-of-field extension (or narrowing), tilt-shift lenses also help with control of perspective distortion in architectural photos. For example, when you stand on the street and take a photograph of a tall bulding, the sides of the building appear to narrow as you move from the bottom of the frame towards the top instead of appearing parallel. That is because the building is not parallel with the sensor plane.

With a TS lens, you can make the sides of the building closer to parallel with the film (sensor) plane, thus reducing (or eliminating depending on your position) the amount of perspective distortion. If the sides of a building are supposed to be parallel, a TS lens can help make them appear that way in your image.

11. Just confirms for me that Nikon plans to do absolutely nothing to prevent people like me from jumping to Canon. (I vote with my dollars, and Nikon has repeatedly demonstrated that they don't want any more of them.)

They always say the grass is greener on the other side of the fence... time to go do some mowing and find out. (I figure I'll rent a body and some glass and see what's what, first.)

12. You stole my line, started to write that last night:smile:
    Y'all PM me with your 300 sales:biggrin:

13. I'm guessing a D3x.

14. Blair

Blair

Jul 28, 2006
    Oregon
    Huh? :Curved:

15. If you shoot a d40/40x/60 and already own a 18-55 and a 55-200, might as well either buy a new body or jump to canon... Nikon has nothing else they want to sell you.

16. Blair

Blair

Jul 28, 2006
    Oregon
    D300? the DX line is not going anywhere. the full frame D700 is a completely different market.

17. How about a 16-85 AFS, 60 micro AFS, 105 micro AFS or 70-300VR AFS?

18. latazyo

latazyo

Apr 23, 2008
    STL
    Korn, were you hoping for a D90?

thanks for the explanation on the tilt lenses, everyone

19. Oh--the SB-80DX manual makes the SB800's read like something straight from Reader's Digest!!! ("I'm am Tom's Flash"). But, yes, they need help!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.