1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

July one prime challenge: Waltny's 50/1.8

Discussion in 'Photo Meme' started by waltny, Jul 1, 2008.

1. waltny

waltny

Mar 27, 2008
    Reno, NV
    I think I plan on shooting with the 50/1.8 wide open for the month of July. This will be my thread. I might not post pictures everyday but I will be taking them.... Im curious to see how the depth of field is effected and overall sharpness across the frame. Ive got 31 days to figure it out!

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Sounds good Tim, can't wait to see the first one.

3. Welcome aboard Tim- your plan sounds great! I am looking forward to seeing some of your pics too

4. waltny

waltny

Mar 27, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Well here we go....

I also decided at wide open I should be able to use only availible light.
    Hope I dont disappoint...

Shot this last night as I searched around looking for something to shoot before bed.
    _DSC0035.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Took this at work today, desk ornament
    _DSC0041.jpg

5. nice shots - love the tiki cups :) 

6. The 50 1.8 would've been my choice if I hadn't dug up the 135. Ought to be fun!

7. hallkc

hallkc

Apr 1, 2008
    French Camp, CA
    Cool topic Tim.

That lens has a crazy shallow DOF... wish I still had mine:) 

Nice shots too!

I do have a comment on the tiki cup shot... maybe the slightest crop of the lower right corner to remove the edge of the counter top. Very nice:) 

I also look forward to participating in the upcoming collective shoot that you're hosting.

Keith

8. You are braver than I. I'm not shooting wide open all month long with mine ;) 
    Looking forward to watching your thread to see your shots with this nifty fifty.

9. waltny

waltny

Mar 27, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Thanks for all the C&C. Ill have to actually do some PP on the next few as these were straight out of the camera with a NEF>JPEG conversion. Ive also seen a few other with some rather inspired photos, Ill have to get out and about myself.

10. Goofy

Goofy

Jul 6, 2007
    Palos Verdes, CA.
    Mark
    Good luck with shooting wide open Tim, I was thinking of trying the same but I feared being neck high in OOF shots and irrationally putting an 85 1.4 in the for sale forum!

11. waltny

waltny

Mar 27, 2008
    Reno, NV
    I hear alot about shooting with a lens wide open and that is why we crave fast glass right? So I figured Id come down off my F8 high horse and see what it can do for what I bought it for(1.8).

Lastly I implore you to shoot with that 85/1.4 wide open so you get sick of it and want to dump it cheap... to me of course!:biggrin:

12. The smiling Tikkis are great! Leaves me smiling...Thanks

13. I do use my 50mm wide open a lot inside at dog show competitions, it's the lens I prefer to get halfway decent shots.

14. waltny

waltny

Mar 27, 2008
    Reno, NV
    3 July submission

Did some minamal PP, and part of my rules are to use availible lighting. So I couldnt use fill flash and delt with the blown out background. Grab her as she was running around playing with friends. I actually got 3 I liked today, but should I get into a pinch later in the month(not following the rules to a tee...) Ill save them for filler.

_DSC0044copy.gif

15. [QUOTE=waltny;1944604...I actually got 3 I liked today, but should I get into a pinch later in the month(not following the rules to a tee...) Ill save them for filler.

That's the real challenge Tim :biggrin: I remember being very pushed one day with Octoberfest...which was only a week...and was grateful for a bowl of walnuts !!
    Love your Tiki DOF

16. hallkc

hallkc

Apr 1, 2008
    French Camp, CA
    Sweet shot Tim. My eye keeps getting drawn to her smile, good job on focus, I remember that with that 50 1.8, finding the correct focal point can be a b#$%h.

17. A tad overexposed, her teeth are glowing and that's distracting, IMO. Also, what's going on above her eyebrow and on her cheek, looks like totally different color and/or pixellation of some sort? Nice catch light in her eyes but my gaze keeps dropping to the mouth/teeth.
    She is a cutie though, I'm sure we'll see more of her :) 

18. waltny

waltny

Mar 27, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Hmm...
    The background is a tad overexposed yes, Ill agree with that. Im shooting with the 50/1.8 wide open for this shoot with availible light. That means no fill flash. Ok on for the story of this shot. I was messing around in the back yard looking for something to shoot and my girls were running around playing tag. This part of the house is in shadows. So I start to walk around to the front to see what the sunset is looking like and I quickly grabbed my oldest pictured here and had her pose for a quick shot. Her cheeks were flushed, she was sweating pretty good and she was in the shadow of the house with me and the sun was hitting the rocks behind us. She informed me I only get a few quick shots so she would get tagged "it". I said ok and ripped off 2 before she was gone. This was the best of the two and being wide open I was pleased with how much in the focus the whole face was. So I decided to use it. For PP I just made a adjustment layer that I warmed a little bit and did a double hit of noise ninja on, did a layer mask so just the adjustments would be good for just the face and called it a day. On my monitor during the PP, I didnt notice the teeth jumping out(did whiten them slightly) and they sure didnt glow. Even now as I look at them I dont see it. I guess I could have sunk a bit more time into PP, but I think I have missed the point of this challenge. We are doing something out of the norm and I though there was minimal PP. Once again I will step up my game...

19. waltny

waltny

Mar 27, 2008
    Reno, NV
    4th of July

Here is my submission for the 4th of July. I didnt shoot this wide open as I tried quite a few times and it just wasnt working. I think I had to go up in the 5.6 range to capture this.
    _DSC0254copy.jpg

BUT,
    I shot this on Friday the 3rd at 1.8
    _DSC0084copy.jpg

I hope that Linda will be as brutally honest on these and in the future as she was on my last submission....

20. What a smile on the 3rd!

Fireworkflowers and some "real" flowers nice captures!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.