July One Prime - Chris101 35mm f/1.7 Ultron

Discussion in 'Photo Meme' started by Chris101, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I have been shooting a Nikon FG with a 43-86 f/3.5 AI'd zoom lens lately. One of Nikon's first zoom, it's reputation is not all about how sharp and distortion free it is. It's got what they call character though. I got it from world famous photographer Nenad Bojic who thought it was a paperweight.

But I locked that lens (and all my Nikons) away for the month, as the lens I have chosen won't fit on them. In fact it fits only one of my cameras, my 1983 Leica M4-P rangefinder. The lens is a Voigtlander Ultron 35mm f/1.7 Aspherical.

I know that by the end of this project (assuming that I make it that far!) I will be craving a through the lens camera. Range finders you see, cannot show you exactly what the image looks like through the lens. There is some paralax (the viewed image doesn't line up with the taken image), there is no indication of DOF (the entire viewfinder is in focus), and there is no feedback on filters (I have 7 different ones from contrast enhancing to a +10 diopter close-up lens.) On top of all that, there is no meter. And of course it shoots ... film.

Ok, so here is my July 1 image:
    [​IMG]

2. Glad to have you onboard, Chris!

The picture shows real character, like only film does. Will be eager to see more!

BTW:
    Lowe the carbage can cover on top of the microwave, is this meant ironic? :Crunk:

3. I give you lots of credit for shooting this with film - should be fun to see what you come up with.

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    It doesn't fit snugly on the garbage can itself, so rather than just throw it away, I put it up there. "Just in case" ya know? :Crunk:

Film's just about all I shoot anyway, unless I have some compelling reason to shoot digital.

It will be fun, to be sure!

I need to come up with a theme though!

5. Very glad that you could join us Chris- and I really appreciate your choice of equipment. Good luck and please keep the good shots coming

6. Wow, I admire you for shooting film. So do you process the film each day too. That's going to be a chore, no??

Great shot, love your kitchen shrouded in DOF mystery (I'm a snoop, I love seeing inside other people's homes, LOL).

7. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Thanks David and Linda!

No, I will process the film whenever I get two rolls ready, as my smallest tank holds 2 rolls. I'm going to go buy some 24 exposure rolls so it won't take so long!

Speaking of chores though, my lens had a rattle in it, so I figured I'd open it up this afternoon and tighten the screws. OH MAN!!! I'm just glad to have gotten it back together. As a Cosina Voigtlander, it's a Japanese made German design. It took me 3 hours to get it reassembled, as the only way to determine if you have gotten it together correctly is to see if it correctly focusses on 0.9 meters (closest) and infinity. The first time I did it would only go down to 1.2 meters, so take it apart, and try the next stop, nope, netx and retry. Well, I hit the correct one on the third try (there are six possibilities) and then it went right back together, and every thing worked just fine.

But it still rattles... :frown::frown::frown:

Hopefully, I'll develop tonight or tomorrow.

8. Double points for using a rangefinder Chris :biggrin:

9. Goofy

Goofy

Jul 6, 2007
    Palos Verdes, CA.
    Mark
    My hats off to you Chris, I'm worried about not completing this with digital. I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures.

10. Great self portrait. You don't look nearly as frightening as your avatar ;)

11. Can't see your 1st image any more Chris...maybe it's been censored :smile:
    Looking forward to seeing all your film work this month.
    Really impressed with the lens rebuild and the 'pain' you will go through with the rangefinder. I had enough difficulty just manually focussing with a camera cover in the rain on 2nd July.

12. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Thanks Scott and Mark! I find RF shooting to be pretty easy, especially as the expectation bar is set rather low. It's kind of like a Point and Shoot!

Thanks Linda. I am alternatively referred to as "you big meanie" and a cherub. Take yer pick!

Here's a link to the photo Charlie:
    http://homepage.mac.com/cheilman1/images/nikoncafe/julyoneprime/01.jpg

Believe me, a rangefinder, especially a Leica is no pain to use. You point it in the right direction, twiddle a couple of dials, and push the button. A digital SLR, now there is a bundle of complexities!

----

I am almost done with my current roll of film. Pictures soon!

13. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I'm gonna skip 2 and 3 for now, cause I only had so much scan time.

I was walking through Encanto Park friday (the 4th of July) afternoon. As I was passing the amusement park (kiddie rides) part of the park, a girl shouted out to me, "Do you work here?"

Now I don't know why she would have thought so, I was wearing a pair of Pink Floyd shorts and a sleeveless tee, with holes up and down it, and an old Leica hanging from my neck. I said "No." of course, but then thought twice and asked "How come? What are you looking for?"

She was curious about why the amusement park was closed on Forth of July, and so was I. The Forth of July is a day off for a lot of people, and it is likely that they will be gong to the park - it was full of picnic-ers, smooching young lovers and random families, but indeed the rides part of the park was closed!

We discussed the city budget and local economics for a couple minutes when she noticed my camera. "Are you taking pictures?", she asked.

"I am.", I replied.

"Will you take my picture?", she inquired of me. As I am always looking for models, I replied ... "Uh, ok."

[​IMG]
    (trix, hc110b, 6.5 min @ 20°C)

14. That's a nice story. Gives the picture so much more depth.

Pink Floyd shorts? Cooooool :Crunk:

15. great portrait, really works in bw

16. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Thanks Michael, thanks Gary! I have to shoot my PF pants for this series then.

17. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Infill

I spent some time with the scanner this morning, so here are my shots from the second and the third of the month. I know it's the fifth already, but the roll is still in the camera, and I am trying not to waste too much of it. Be patient, I will most likely be developing it some time next week.

July 2: Hellhole
    [​IMG]
    (trix, 6.5 minutes in hc110b at 20°C)

June 3: Bleak, Pre-monsoon Sunset
    [​IMG]
    (trix, 6.5 minutes in hc110b at 20°C)

18. We are all screaming out for a s/p of you in the Pink Floyd shorts, Chris!! I love your work so far- black and white film looks so goooood

19. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Of me in them?? Yeah, I don't think that's gonna happen - these are my comfort pants, not fashion pants. I'll try to find a hottie to model them for me though... :Wink:

Oh, and thanks! :smile:

20. hallkc

hallkc

Apr 1, 2008
    French Camp, CA
    The pre-monsoon sunset looks great to me... what catches my eye is the ever so slight falloff on the left and right, it somehow pulls my eye to the stark contrast of the tree on the right of the photo. The manhole cover really "pops" out of the road too:)

I'm not brave enough for film, nice shots:)