July One Prime - Goofy's 85 1.4

Discussion in 'Photo Meme' started by Goofy, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Goofy

Goofy

Jul 6, 2007
    Palos Verdes, CA.
    Mark
    A last minute decision to join in but better late than never I suppose. This is the first time I've taken part in one of these challenges so I'm not sure how it'll turn out, never the less I'm looking forward to giving it a go.

I picked the 85 1.4 because of all the fantastic pictures I've seen on here taken with it, I think I need to learn how to get the best from this lens so what better way than this??

Just one question - Do all the pictures we post have to be taken on the day they're posted or can you take a few days worth at once, say on a trip out?! If it's one a day, every day, I might struggle to find the time.

Anyway... Here goes, C+C welcomed.

[​IMG]

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Very interesting point of focus Mark. By leaving the dog in the background, you give it a sense of mystery. And that actually places more importance on it!

The last time the rule was to post it as soon as convenient. Film shooters had a bit more time. But the key is to TAKE a photo every day.

3. You're really using the small DOF! The idea behind this picture is completely different from my style. This will be great to learn from each other...

4. You have certainly started off with a bang! I love the first shot and find my eyes wandering all over taking in the details.

5. Wow, I love this one, it's a great perspective on the dog house and dog!!! Great job.

6. Goofy

Goofy

Jul 6, 2007
    Palos Verdes, CA.
    Mark
    Thanks everyone for your comments, learning more about the DOF and selective focus capabilities of the 85 f/1.4 is the main reason I chose it for the challenge. It's good to see all the different lenses people have chosen and how they are using them, I think I'm going to learn a lot this month.

July 2nd...

[​IMG]

7. Aah, the 85s favorite subject: Portraits! Well done.

8. This is a lovely shot, very nice lighting and great skin tones.

9. I like this one alot. Any additional lighting added? The 85mm 1.4 is next on my wishlist. Thanks for participating!

10. Love the intriguing first Mark...the choice of focus makes it a short story.
    How did you use the flash in the 2nd?

11. Goofy

Goofy

Jul 6, 2007
    Palos Verdes, CA.
    Mark
    Thanks for the kind remarks guys!

The second pic is a snap of my favorite model (my wife!). There was a little ambient light from a window with some on camera flash bounced off the ceiling @ -.3 EV if I remember correctly. Minimal PP was just a little added contrast and slight sharpening.

12. Goofy

Goofy

Jul 6, 2007
    Palos Verdes, CA.
    Mark
    July 3rd...

[​IMG]

13. That's a very stylisch pair of shoes!

.....Better not show them to my wife :Crunk:

14. love the dof on #1 and again on #3

15. All good so far, but I think that the shot of the flip-flops is the star of the show. Great work!

16. Goofy

Goofy

Jul 6, 2007
    Palos Verdes, CA.
    Mark
    Thanks for the comments guys. The flip flops were taken with the D70 in IR, I was going to convert to B&W but liked the "color" instead.

Jul 4th and 5th...

This is what happens when you're too close to the fireworks, you don't have a tripod and you do have an almost empty beer cooler! :Curved:

[​IMG]

Beer cooler emptied... just ice and water left (and a headache!)

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2008
  17. hallkc

hallkc

Apr 1, 2008
    French Camp, CA
    Tripod or none, I dig the fireworks shot... almost looks like a shutter-zoom creation:)

18. i generally find firework shots a bit dull, your's rocks!! it's a bit different

19. Refill the beer! I too like the your rendition of the fireworks. It may not be your exact intentions but it's nice to see another lesson learned.

20. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I keep returning to the first photo. The oof portion of the scene has a wonderful look to it - far more so than the usual 'cream' this lens is known for!