July One Prime - Goofy's 85 1.4

Real Name
Mark
A last minute decision to join in but better late than never I suppose. This is the first time I've taken part in one of these challenges so I'm not sure how it'll turn out, never the less I'm looking forward to giving it a go.

I picked the 85 1.4 because of all the fantastic pictures I've seen on here taken with it, I think I need to learn how to get the best from this lens so what better way than this??

Just one question - Do all the pictures we post have to be taken on the day they're posted or can you take a few days worth at once, say on a trip out?! If it's one a day, every day, I might struggle to find the time.

Anyway... Here goes, C+C welcomed.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Chris
Very interesting point of focus Mark. By leaving the dog in the background, you give it a sense of mystery. And that actually places more importance on it!

... Just one question - Do all the pictures we post have to be taken on the day they're posted or can you take a few days worth at once, say on a trip out?! If it's one a day, every day, I might struggle to find the time. ...
The last time the rule was to post it as soon as convenient. Film shooters had a bit more time. But the key is to TAKE a photo every day.

You're really using the small DOF! The idea behind this picture is completely different from my style. This will be great to learn from each other...

Real Name
Mark
Thanks everyone for your comments, learning more about the DOF and selective focus capabilities of the 85 f/1.4 is the main reason I chose it for the challenge. It's good to see all the different lenses people have chosen and how they are using them, I think I'm going to learn a lot this month.

July 2nd...

Real Name
Mark
Thanks for the kind remarks guys!

The second pic is a snap of my favorite model (my wife!). There was a little ambient light from a window with some on camera flash bounced off the ceiling @ -.3 EV if I remember correctly. Minimal PP was just a little added contrast and slight sharpening.

Real Name
Mark
July 3rd...

Real Name
Mark
Thanks for the comments guys. The flip flops were taken with the D70 in IR, I was going to convert to B&W but liked the "color" instead.

Jul 4th and 5th...

This is what happens when you're too close to the fireworks, you don't have a tripod and you do have an almost empty beer cooler! :Curved:

Beer cooler emptied... just ice and water left (and a headache!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Refill the beer! I too like the your rendition of the fireworks. It may not be your exact intentions but it's nice to see another lesson learned.

Real Name
Chris
I keep returning to the first photo. The oof portion of the scene has a wonderful look to it - far more so than the usual 'cream' this lens is known for!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom