July One Prime - Nikkor 20mm 2.8

July 1st:

Horrible horrible shot. Done about 1000 times on each camera ever made - I'm ashamed to be posting it but I got caught at work yesterday and this is all I have

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
July 2nd

Tyler in the park after work:

Be interested to see what you do with this lens. It would suite me fine for some of the shooting I do indoors.

Welcome Billy- good to have you playing with us again. I like your first shot (we don't all come from NY!) and I think that your second is cool too. Have fun and enjoy the month.

Like the first shot, nice lines....

Who says you can't do portraits with a 20mm, you proved it in the second shot.
This lens seems to be good in including background in a shot...

Nothing shameful about 'Canal Street' for us foreigners seeing it for the first time :smile:
Really interested what you show this month. If my maths is correct you are getting the width with your 20mm on your D200 that my 35mm will [approx] show on a FF dslr

Real Name
Chris
Billy, I almost chose this lens, but I prefer my Olympus version (21mm) more, so I skipped the Nikkor. I'm glad you went with it! I've never seen a shot like your first one, so it looks good to me!

Your second one is just that more fantastic! Thanks!

Nothing shameful about 'Canal Street' for us foreigners seeing it for the first time :smile:
Really interested what you show this month. If my maths is correct you are getting the width with your 20mm on your D200 that my 35mm will [approx] show on a FF dslr
20 * 1.5 = 30mm ... so I'm slightly wider than your 35mm will be on a FF.

July 3rd:

I'm not overly happy with this photo. We went out for dinner with some friends on this night, and I was hoping to set up my umbrellas when we got home. Instead, my wife and her friends had other ideas and we didn't end up making it home till almost 2AM. So my choice of photos are high-ISO snapshots that have no real thought or quality to them. Sorry about that:

July 4th:

Pool party at my brother-in-laws ... though the weather effectively kept me out of the pool. I did make up for yesterday's bad photos with the gorgeous overcast-sky light we had going on this day:

I prefer the second shot (girl) because it has interesting lighting... is that light on her face coming from the reflection of the pool water? Looks good:)

I prefer the second shot (girl) because it has interesting lighting... is that light on her face coming from the reflection of the pool water? Looks good:)
I like the first simply because I know how hard it is to get Connor (kid in first photo) to smile well.

As far as the blue light on her face, I can't figure out if it's reflection off the water or if it's the reflection off her swimsuit - but I agree with you, nice lighting.

Thanks.

Very nice! Using this lens for close portraits! A difficult, yet rewarding task. The expression in the 7/3 shot really sets it apart.
Thanks Chris. Yeah, I've actually been using this as a portrait lens for a while. It doesn't work on adults as the goofy distortion it can give you isn't well-received by adults when its done to them, but it can work very well on kids which is 90% of what I shoot so the lens has been a good investment. These aren't recent, but are some good examples of how this lens can work with portraits:

Some really good work here. I shoot kids alot at church functions and have been relying heavily on my 50mm . You are making a good argument for the 20/2.8. Ive looked at it before but not seriously.

Real Name
Chris
Kid's seem to look as if they are already wide-angleized! So the effect is quite complimentary. I have, however seen some fine adult wide angle portraiture, particularly where the entire person is shown in an environment. As long as nothing is too close to the edge or to the camera, it works.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom