July One Prime - Nikkor 20mm 2.8

Discussion in 'Photo Meme' started by Billy Ng, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Billy Ng

Billy Ng

Jan 22, 2007
    Hartsdale, NY
    July 1st:

Horrible horrible shot. Done about 1000 times on each camera ever made - I'm ashamed to be posting it but I got caught at work yesterday and this is all I have

[​IMG]

2. Billy Ng

Billy Ng

Jan 22, 2007
    Hartsdale, NY
    July 2nd

Tyler in the park after work:

[​IMG]

3. waltny

waltny

Mar 27, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Be interested to see what you do with this lens. It would suite me fine for some of the shooting I do indoors.

4. Great 2nd photo! Kids at the park is a summer tradition IMO.

5. Welcome Billy- good to have you playing with us again. I like your first shot (we don't all come from NY!) and I think that your second is cool too. Have fun and enjoy the month.

6. Goofy

Goofy

Jul 6, 2007
    Palos Verdes, CA.
    Mark
    Hi Billy,

I like the first shot too. The shot of Tyler is neat, I was drawn straight to his eyes.

7. Like the first shot, nice lines....

Who says you can't do portraits with a 20mm, you proved it in the second shot.
    This lens seems to be good in including background in a shot...

8. I'm not real familiar with the 20mm so it will be interesting to see your pics. Love the one of your son, very nice focus on those lovely eyes!

9. Nothing shameful about 'Canal Street' for us foreigners seeing it for the first time :smile:
    Really interested what you show this month. If my maths is correct you are getting the width with your 20mm on your D200 that my 35mm will [approx] show on a FF dslr

10. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Billy, I almost chose this lens, but I prefer my Olympus version (21mm) more, so I skipped the Nikkor. I'm glad you went with it! I've never seen a shot like your first one, so it looks good to me!

Your second one is just that more fantastic! Thanks!

11. Billy Ng

Billy Ng

Jan 22, 2007
    Hartsdale, NY
    20 * 1.5 = 30mm ... so I'm slightly wider than your 35mm will be on a FF.

12. Billy Ng

Billy Ng

Jan 22, 2007
    Hartsdale, NY
    July 3rd:

I'm not overly happy with this photo. We went out for dinner with some friends on this night, and I was hoping to set up my umbrellas when we got home. Instead, my wife and her friends had other ideas and we didn't end up making it home till almost 2AM. So my choice of photos are high-ISO snapshots that have no real thought or quality to them. Sorry about that:

[​IMG]

13. Billy Ng

Billy Ng

Jan 22, 2007
    Hartsdale, NY
    July 4th:

Pool party at my brother-in-laws ... though the weather effectively kept me out of the pool. I did make up for yesterday's bad photos with the gorgeous overcast-sky light we had going on this day:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. hallkc

hallkc

Apr 1, 2008
    French Camp, CA
    I prefer the second shot (girl) because it has interesting lighting... is that light on her face coming from the reflection of the pool water? Looks good:) 

15. Billy Ng

Billy Ng

Jan 22, 2007
    Hartsdale, NY
    I like the first simply because I know how hard it is to get Connor (kid in first photo) to smile well.

As far as the blue light on her face, I can't figure out if it's reflection off the water or if it's the reflection off her swimsuit - but I agree with you, nice lighting.

Thanks.

16. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Very nice! Using this lens for close portraits! A difficult, yet rewarding task. The expression in the 7/3 shot really sets it apart.

17. Billy Ng

Billy Ng

Jan 22, 2007
    Hartsdale, NY
    Thanks Chris. Yeah, I've actually been using this as a portrait lens for a while. It doesn't work on adults as the goofy distortion it can give you isn't well-received by adults when its done to them, but it can work very well on kids which is 90% of what I shoot so the lens has been a good investment. These aren't recent, but are some good examples of how this lens can work with portraits:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. waltny

waltny

Mar 27, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Some really good work here. I shoot kids alot at church functions and have been relying heavily on my 50mm . You are making a good argument for the 20/2.8. Ive looked at it before but not seriously.

19. hawkfl

hawkfl

Jul 3, 2008
    Germany
    Shoot 3 is absolutely great, beautiful pic.

20. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Kid's seem to look as if they are already wide-angleized! So the effect is quite complimentary. I have, however seen some fine adult wide angle portraiture, particularly where the entire person is shown in an environment. As long as nothing is too close to the edge or to the camera, it works.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.