July One Prime: Patti's 85mm 1.4D

True North strong & free (that's Canada eh)
I thought I'd give this a try with my 'new to me' 85 1.4 while I try to master the cream machine. Sorry for posting several at once. I've been out of town.

July 1st Canada Day fireworks - a bust I'm afraid :Curved: This is the only one that looked anywhere near decent.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited by a moderator:
July 6th - my birthday cake (trifle) made by my daughter. This was taken in the garden in the dark so the lens was wide open. I tried my best with the DoF. The mint leaves are in focus at least. lol I'd appreciate feedback about where others would have chosen to focus

I seem to be on a low light theme which I guess is not surprising since my main reason for breaking the bank for this lens was for concert photography use. It made it's debut on the 7th at John Mayer's concert in Toronto. Here are 2 from it: one in focus and one not but with interesting light:

View attachment 217470

July 11th - taken tonight while at a friend's for dinner. This is Brittany. She later hissed at me and damned near knocked me out with her breath. Phewww

Real Name
Chris
... one in focus and one not but with interesting light: ...
You seem to have gotten part of it in focus... :Wink:

Sharpness is highly over-rated in my book anyway. The atmosphere and emotion in a photograph are MUCH more important. You have caught these here.

Oh, and welcome to the fray!

You seem to have gotten part of it in focus... :Wink:

Sharpness is highly over-rated in my book anyway. The atmosphere and emotion in a photograph are MUCH more important. You have caught these here.

Oh, and welcome to the fray!
Thanks for the welcome, Chris. Since I started with a dslr a year ago I've chased the 'tack sharp' dream. I'm starting to come around to the beauty of some blurry shots. :biggrin: I don't see anything in this photo of JM though. You have younger eyes than I. lol

Welcome to the show Patti! Hope that you like your new lens- we never read many negative things about that one and it is nice to see an 85/1.4 doing work other than just people!! Your concert shots are great!

Thanks for the welcome Keith & Dave. It's obscene how much I love this lens. Here's today's photo taken at a local photo shops annual Photo Day event

Thanks Mark & Birgit. This little girl was so cute and the other children in line were watching with great interest as the pink panther emerged. It was hard to decide which photo to post yesterday.
I just adore this lens and slowly my shots are getting cleared as I gain practice with it. If the house was burning down I think this lens might be the first thing I'd grab. :eek:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom