1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

July One Prime: Patti's 85mm 1.4D

Discussion in 'Photo Meme' started by dzibead, Jul 11, 2008.

1. I thought I'd give this a try with my 'new to me' 85 1.4 while I try to master the cream machine. Sorry for posting several at once. I've been out of town.

July 1st Canada Day fireworks - a bust I'm afraid :Curved: This is the only one that looked anywhere near decent.

fireworksJuly1.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2008
  2. July 6th - my birthday cake (trifle) made by my daughter. This was taken in the garden in the dark so the lens was wide open. I tried my best with the DoF. The mint leaves are in focus at least. lol I'd appreciate feedback about where others would have chosen to focus

2658345472_83cd68f113_o.png

3. I seem to be on a low light theme which I guess is not surprising since my main reason for breaking the bank for this lens was for concert photography use. It made it's debut on the 7th at John Mayer's concert in Toronto. Here are 2 from it: one in focus and one not but with interesting light:

2651674592_e6f7600e25_o.png

View attachment 217470

4. ora-et-labora

ora-et-labora

Mar 15, 2008
    Earth
    Patti,
    the concert shots are great!

5. Thanks! Concert photography is what hooked me into photography last summer. It's my labour of love.

6. July 11th - taken tonight while at a friend's for dinner. This is Brittany. She later hissed at me and damned near knocked me out with her breath. Phewww

2659547729_e140947f66_o.png

7. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    You seem to have gotten part of it in focus... :Wink:

Sharpness is highly over-rated in my book anyway. The atmosphere and emotion in a photograph are MUCH more important. You have caught these here.

Oh, and welcome to the fray!

8. I love your fireworks and concerts shots particularly

9. Thanks for the welcome, Chris. Since I started with a dslr a year ago I've chased the 'tack sharp' dream. I'm starting to come around to the beauty of some blurry shots. :biggrin: I don't see anything in this photo of JM though. You have younger eyes than I. lol

10. Thanks Birgit. I need to learn where the fine line is between sufficiently long exposure and just plain turning the fireworks into a mess. lol

11. hallkc

hallkc

Apr 1, 2008
    French Camp, CA
    Welcome,

That feline has a pretty intense look on it's face. Must be stalking some "prey". Nice shot:) 

12. Welcome to the show Patti! Hope that you like your new lens- we never read many negative things about that one and it is nice to see an 85/1.4 doing work other than just people!! Your concert shots are great!

13. Thanks for the welcome Keith & Dave. It's obscene how much I love this lens. Here's today's photo taken at a local photo shops annual Photo Day event

2665901410_b35b47829a_b.png

14. Goofy

Goofy

Jul 6, 2007
    Palos Verdes, CA.
    Mark
    Good to see you're having fun with the 85 1.4 Patti, great face painting shot!

15. What a great face painting. The 85 1.4 is a lens I have never seen. Good shooting!

16. Thanks Mark & Birgit. This little girl was so cute and the other children in line were watching with great interest as the pink panther emerged. It was hard to decide which photo to post yesterday.
    I just adore this lens and slowly my shots are getting cleared as I gain practice with it. If the house was burning down I think this lens might be the first thing I'd grab. :eek: 

17. Wow, I love the truffle shot, very appealing, and the guitar player, excellent. The cat, I have a cat that looks very much like that one ;) 

18. Wow! Great face paint. Awesome capture.

19. very nice portrait

20. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Hopefully the little girl's breath was better than the real cat's! :biggrin:

I like the color on that shot.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.