Jumpspider (M. muscosa) having a Snack

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by misupix, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Managed to capture a nice little series of this tiny female Jumpspider (Marp issa muscosa).

The Jumping Spiders are a very interesting species. They even have Eyes which can zoom and shift! :biggrin:

See here for more details:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumping_spider

That's how I found my model, hanging upside down under a lamp on my terrace.

"Upside Down"

original.jpg
    (Nikon D300 105VR+1.4TC 1/60s f/16.0 at 150.0mm iso200 Flash)

The Jump Spiders are very brave and stand their ground when approaching them or even jump to attack. So I easily managed to "invite" her into my studio.

Where she got an appropriate payment, a stunned fly. She took it immediately...

"Deadly Hug"

original.jpg
    (Nikon D300 105VR+1.4TC 1/60s f/16.0 at 150.0mm iso200 Flash)

After hugging it from all possible angles, the "slurping" began...

"Little Snack"

original.jpg
    (Nikon D300 105VR+36mm Extension tube 1/60s f/16.0 at 105.0mm iso200 Flash)

...like a lovely couple dancing...

"Dance of Death"

original.jpg

Here's the obligatory after meal portrait...

"After Meal Portrait"

original.jpg

I returned her to her home. I guess we both where happy, she's got her Snack and I got my Pictures

BTW:
    The male Version looks like this:

"The Boxer"

original.jpg
    (Nikon D300 105VR+1.4TC 1/60s f/32.0 at 150.0mm iso200 Flash)

Thanks for enduring this boring story, you made it to the end! :wink:

Feedback very welcome!​

2. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi michael-

these are great macros. i've never seen a spider feeding, and it's a scary sight. my brother (who's scared of spiders) would freak out on these :wink:

on a side note, it's a shame that the software on this site doesn't allow certain words. you'd think it would be smart enough not to edit words that are embedded in a larger word.

ricky

3. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Lovely spider shots Michael, I am glad that you pay your models for their time!

4. CAClark

CAClark Guest

To me the last sht is the best one for it's simplicity. I used to shoot jumping spiders in my old yard lots, amazing creatures :)

Cheers!

5. I imagined a big "BURRRRP" as the caption of the fifth photo.

Very nice.

6. That´s a cheap model!

Excellent shots, Michael!

7. I can relate to your brother. The whole series is part of my own arachnophobia-rehabilitation program! :biggrin:

Unfortunately you get what you pay for, some may even call it ugly or scary! :eek: :wink:

I love them, their attitude is so brave. She kept attacking the lens while shooting...:redface:

That's what I heard.......I kept wondering where the Blurp came from :eek::biggrin:

Thanks! It was some hard work chasing her around with the lens. The jumpers keep running right for the lens as soon as focus is locked......really frustrating. Feeding them helps keep them still for a while :tongue:

8. So finally, the whole series is up. As I said in the PM - outstanding masterpieces of photomacrography.
    I like the first one best.

Cheers

9. Crave

Crave Guest

Thats called a bribe!!!
    Excelent serie!!!
    Realy liked the third one!!!

10. Excellent! Did you use an umbrella for flash?

11. aspiringphotos

aspiringphotos

Sep 26, 2008
    Kansas
    Those are amazing. I'm working on a bee/stinging insect phobia, and although I'm getting much closer to them behind the lens than I would without the camera, I would NOT be able to invite them in for a snack! Very brave of you.

If I read right, you used a teleconverter on your 105mm lens, correct? I've been wondering about those.