Junior Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by sonuj2, Apr 28, 2007.

1. sonuj2

sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    Took my son to his soccer game and tried my hand at becoming a 'Mike' or 'Frank' LOL :smile: .... hard act to follow and I failed miserably. Shot about 50 odd shots and only one I thought was decent. Shot with a D2H/80-200/TC 1.4 1/1000 F/4. Looking for feedback on tips for improvement. I shot RAW and used Elements 4.0 to tweak levels, USM 200/.3/0. Cropped the image to get the composition right. Looking for comments on how I could improve this image (if at all).

476028662_7826649b0a.

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Shekhar, this is not a bad shot at all. On my monitor, it looks as though you may have bumped up the color just a tad too much, but it isn't distasteful. RandyNikonCafe is the resident soccer-maniac, he's the one to help you tweak your soccer shots. I think that you did real well.

3. Shekar to me the color is just fine. You had a terrible backround to work with. I'd just try and crop reeal tight next time.

4. sonuj2

sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    Thanks for your encouraging comments Frank! I just adjusted levels and a bit of USM. I will try to tone down the colors and see how it looks.

5. sonuj2

sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    Thanks Eric. I am still a novice at this type of photography and have a long way to go. These are the kind of tips is what I am looking for ..... I will try them out next week and see what I can do.

6. Nice as Eric mentioned a tighter crop might help I use the tight crops to help eliminate the busy backgrounds that surround almost all youth sports

7. Decent bokeh with the f4. Maybe a touch too much cntrast/sat. Other than that, I'm with you on the lo keeper rate. Soccer kicks like that are really tough to catch just right. I shot maybe 30 similiar shots yesterday with the ball... GONE or not on his foot yet or off to the side...... I know, you know what I mean!
    Keep shooting !!

8. sonuj2

sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    Thanks for looking Jim and sympathizing with my low keeper rate. I do have quite a few shots that did turn out very well, even have players caught in action, running with the ball glued to their foot, etc., but then I was not able to isolate the players from the parents sitting in the background on the other side of the field so they were not worth posting. I shot at f/4 which is wide open considering that I was using the Kenko 1.4X with my 80-200 and was a bit disappointed and surprised with the less than acceptable bokeh since this lens gives me a very decent bokeh otherwise. looks like I need a LOT more practice!!