1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Junky Monitor

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by JustinD, Jul 4, 2008.

1. I'm in the position of having to use a somewhat inferior monitor to work on my photos and I just can't tell about some things such as color and sharpness.

For example on the following shot I'd appreciate it you could take a look at the sharpness and see if it's been over/under sharpened and the color to see if it's too pale or too saturated and things like exposure (levels) as well and just give me an idea of whether or not I'm close on it. Thanks.

forbiddencitydoor.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. It has a good vibrant red and the image starts sharp on the left and de-focuses as you move to the right. You have not oversharpened it.

3. Thanks, Gordon. Maybe I just need to get used to the new monitor.

4. If it's an LCD monitor, make sure it's set to its native resolution. Anything else will give awful softness.

Also, get a monitor calibrator. I can't encourage this enough. The Huey is a pretty cheap device, and worth every cent.

5. Hey thanks, Damien. It is an LCD monitor...how would I go about setting it to it's native resolution?

6. Well, assuming you have a PC, just right-click on the desktop, choose Properties, then the Settings tab. Make sure the Screen resolution slider is all the way to the right.

7. That did it. Thanks. Really helped with the quality of of the monitor as well.

8. Hooray! Glad I could help.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.