Juried Show Update

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jfenton, Aug 20, 2005.

1. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Well....didn't win squat..not even an Honorable mention and if you saw what was awarded prizes (I post shots of them once they are on the Art Societies website) you'd be amazed.

HOWEVER......What I did get was better than winning!

The reason they wanted to make sure I was there this evening was that ELEVEN people have asked to buy copies of Simplicity framed..along with 4 folks wanting the osprey!

It was almost a little embarrassing at first because I had a little cult of about 20 people asking all kinds of questions, asking for business cards...did I have a website, etc. Someone asked if I had a portfolio so I of course went out and got them from the car and it took over an hour to go through all of the shots I had with me.

HOWEVER..even neater than all this is the fact that a wonderful little old lady named Margot Hubbard came up to me and advised me that she lived on a private parcel of land on the edge of the marsh thats I have always drooled over because it's fenced off. She told me that Simplicity evoked such emotion that she knew she had to meet me so that I could come capture the beauty of the wildlife on her property. I felt like someone had jut handed me a winning lottery ticket! I told her that I'd happily print some of the photo's I shot on her property fr her and her response was..."Of course you will JAMES (i hate being called James)...after I pay you for them!

I gave out 31 business cards and had numerous folks ask me if I would be able to print and frame for them to give as Christmas gifts. When I told them that I was having a one person show at the art gallery the third week of October, one of the ladies went and got a pad of paper and folks wrote their contact info down so they could be invited.

Boy oh boy I hope these folks really follow through.

When I arrived back home, Margot had already called to tell me that it was she who bought the actual copies of the Osprey and Simplicity that I had in the show and that she wants Jeannie and I to come over tomorrow for a tour of her property.

I think I won on this one in spades.

By the way..the winner took shots of the right and left sides of a horses head, the curve of it's back and it's tail and entered all 4 pieces together.

For that winning entry, they got $500.

Go figure?

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Congratulations for winning on your term Jim!

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Well James ?!?!?!?

It sounds as though you won, instead if being the judge's choice, you were the fan's choice. It speaks volumes when folks come forward to ask for copies of something that you have because they want it for themselves. Someone else may have won the official prize, but they may not have drawn the interest that you did. Hold your head high, Jim, it doesn't always take a judge to announce who the real winner is. Congratulations on putting up your best effort, Mrs. Hubbard and the rest undoubtedly feel the same.

4. Well, you got what you deserve....REAL recognition! Congratulations. Goes to show you that the real art is the kind the people, not the 'experts' like.
    You are definitely the real winner this time around :)

5. Hi Jim,

This all sounds like good news.

One thought, you should try to see if Margot (Your new patron :p ) is agreeable to letting you have the right to sell any of the photos you take on her property. Sort of like a model release. I'm not sure how formal it should be, maybe only verbal is OK, but in today's' world, I'm never sure. Maybe some of the pros or semi-pros here can add their thoughts.

Again, great to hear the news.
    Bob

6. How great is that to be recognized by those viewing your images. Your photo "Simplicity" is truly a beautiful shot and was my first choice as well. That is a neat story about Margot and her offer to let you tour her place, this plus the fact that she has already bought two of your works of art. You are definitely a winner and I hope you feel like such. Congratulations on your sales.

7. Well that is great news Jim and well deserved, you have some fantastic photos!! Congratulations!!!!

8. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Jim, congrats on your sales and potential sales., and perhaps most importantly a new wildlife venue for your use. Your images evoke the emotions in folks and you are reaping the benefits of your vision,

Bravo,

Wade

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    THAt is so fantistic..

see i told yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    judges suck

way to goooooooooooooooo

I am elated

woooohooooo
    gooooooooo JIM

love ya

10. Hey Jim,

Congratulations! And from the sound of the interest there you'll make way more than the $500 the guy with the horse pictures took home. I'm sure you would have much rather won and had the honor of winning but like you said yourself, you trumped this one hands down.

The coolest part is being able to shoot from the little old lady's property. Can't wait to see what you capture there.

Keep on posting!

11. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    Way to go JAMES!!!! :D

Sounds like you came out a winner, even if you didn't get a ribbon. Congratulations.

12. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Congrats, Jim!! Really sounds like you won the bigger price - recognition by the people and the chance to shoot at a new, private location. I know none of us agree with the judges choice, but you'll come out ahead in the long run!

13. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

14. Congrats!

Judges Smudges. Sounds like your fan base just grew some more. You know you gots lots of fans on this site.

Besides I already awarded you 1st,2nd,3rd and 4th place the other day. :D

15. Jim very often in those concours the winner are choose in advance it happens to my sister a couple of years ago at a show organise by a big paint company, they invented a categorie at the last minutes (the best all categorie) which she won and the best part the company organizing the show bought the 3 paintings she had expose. In making contacts with different peoples might be more profitable to you than winning. Exposure is very good to be recognise and very often word of mouth my open a lot of doors for other expositions.

16. Congrats there is winning and then there is WINNING seems liek you are the real winner great job .

17. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Great big Congratulations to you! Just goes to show what a truly talented photographer you are. The guy w/the horse was probably standing in a corner watching all the commotion w/your fans and thinking "yeah, and all I got was a ribbon and $500". Kudos to you!!!!

18. Congratulations, Jim! Thanks for sharing this experience with us all. It has really been interesting from many angles. I hope your new acquaintance proves to be more beneficial than a 1st place ribbon and $.

Way to go!! :)

19. general

general

Apr 30, 2005
    Nebraska
    Congratulations

Congratulations, Jim. That is certainly wonderful news for you. I suspect that the news will spread even more from these few pleased clients. Way to go!

20. That really is excellent news. I am not surprised people wanted copies of the owl amd 'Simplicity.'
    Bet very few people wanted the horse.
    This Margot sounds an interesting character and you should do well out of this.
    Well done and congratulations. Bob F.