Just a Barn Swallow

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Flew, Jun 14, 2005.

1. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    These guys are always flying around the local pond. From time to time though, I get lucky and catch one posing. This guy put on a real show. For reference, these guys are a little over 6 inches long from beak to tail.

Taken with the D2H / 300mm f2.8 + TC-17EII.

Posing:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stretching:
    [​IMG]

Flapping:
    [​IMG]

Well, Hello my Friend:
    [​IMG]

A few more can be seen here:
    http://flew.smugmug.com/gallery/595513/1/25031525

Thanks for looking.

2. Hi Frank

Great series Frank, awesome job :!: They are very tiny birds. Take it this was with your 300mm gem ;-) really like the shallow DOF as well!! 8)

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Keith,

Thanks. Now, if I just had a 400 2.8.... 8)

God, I'd love to have that lens. :wink:

4. Love these shots Frank, especially #2. Kind of looks like he is thinking, Ho Hum Another Photographer. Well taken images.

5. Really nice series Frank!!!! Those guys don't sit still for long. That little one seemed to be making faces at you. A 400 2.8 with VR would be even better - maybe Nikon will make one just about the time I could afford it. :) :)

6. hans

hans

Feb 5, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Frank, I'm not that birdman but these are a feast for the eye

Really great work of a lovely birdie

7. Nice ones Frank, I like the background such a nice gradient.

Martin

8. Super job, Frank. Not only great captures, but artistically done!

The second shot is my fave. I couldn't look at it without smiling :).

9. Great job, these little buggers are tough you did great perfect poses great bokeh. I am with Frank I like the second one the best a classic look on its face.

10. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Super job on these Flew, but what really strikes me

is that you used Manual Exp mode. Remember when you absolutely freaked out when your D2H's metering went kaput, and you had to send it in to Nikon? What's your reasoning behind all this "madness"?
    Excellent shots, btw!

11. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Re: Super job on these Flew, but what really strikes me

Steve,

I've gone almost exclusively to manual mode for most bird shots, because the background brightness (sky vs. trees vs. water) can vary by more than a stop during one flight sequence. I do still use A mode when there is a mixture of shadow and direct sunlight, but M for almost everything else. I just get more consistent exposures.

BTW, I learned to do this when my metering went out. :?

Thanks for the kind words.

12. Very nice captures Frank.
    Next: try to catch 'em flying :D :D (they are faaaast!!).

13. most impressive work! I love seeing these kinds of shots

14. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Frits,

Tell me about it. I have a couple of flight shots of these guys that are actually in focus, but they are pretty far away. My next goal is to get some flight shots that are at least 20 - 25% of the frame. The problem is (as I'm sure that you know) they aren't just fast; they dart all over the place. :roll:

15. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Great shots, Frank, but how do you train them to model for you.....

16. Excellent shots Frank, just super, nice and close with detail and tack sharp.

17. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Ken,

Normally these guys are very shy, but this one just sat there and performed. I was certainly grateful.... :lol:

Thanks for the kind words.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.