Just a Classic today...

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Desert Rat, May 20, 2007.

1. This weekend marked the CHino Planes of Fame airshow and as the feature of the show this year they has 3 P-38 Lightnings flying in the show.
    I took a huge amout of shots at thsi show and have only barely scratched the surafce of them..

Here is just one shot of one of the P-38's that were flying this weekend.

Thay also had the Glacier Girl.. The P-38 that was buried in the glacier in and recovered and restored to flying condition. The plane consists of 80% of its original parst now. It will be flown to England in June of this year on the same route it took when it was forced to land. (Pictures of this plane to follow)

Tech
    D2x
    100ISO
    1/400 shutter speed for some prop blur
    70-200 + TC 17E

original.

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2007
  2. Wow... that is a beautiful capture...

Were you happy with the reach of the 70-200 + TC 17E?

I am debating using 70-200 + TC14II, or a 300F4 or a 300F4 + TC14II.. any suggestion here?

Did your 70-200 + TC 17E focus fast enough?

Sorry for all the questions... inquiring minds want to know!

3. Andyc

Andyc

Nov 6, 2006
    South Wales UK
    You have captured the P38 wonderfully Eric.
    I look forward to seeing the Glacier Girl shots. I saw the documentary showing the team digging her out.

Best regards
    Andy

4. Sweet! And I like the props. It is one of the most difficult things I find for me to get the props looking right in flight.

5. Thanks Paul.. Well, I have been using the 70-200+TC 17E for quite some time now.. for airplanes, animals and landscapes.. It works quite well. AF speed is not as fast as without the TC, but this is where you focus on the airpplanes at a distance and track them in till they get big enough in the frame...

I had the 300/f4 and TC and used it for several years, but found it to be a bit limithing for me so I went the zoom lens way which works for my style of shooting. I have 4 lenses in my kit that go from 12mm to 400mm and it is a nice compact system...

6. That's a really nice shot! As far as taking the same route to England, I'm not sure I'd want to do that...sort of like thumbing your nose at fate!

:wink:

7. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Eric,

An excellent example of your wonderful captures!!!

Just Awesome!!

Thanks for sharing,

8. bozola

bozola

Feb 28, 2006
    Seattle WA
    I think the shot is great.. but would like it even better centered!

9. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

See why you should post here! I would sure hate to have to try to explain telephoto lens compression to that crowd! lol :eek:

As stated in the PM, nice shot and capture, one I sure haven't seen yet!

Wade

10. Thanks Andy.... I have a few of Glacier Girl, but you cannot see the name on the nose.. it was always flying the other direction...
    Thanks Patrick.. Told you you should make a weekend run out here for this show....
    Thanks Alex/....Best deal for Prop blur is between 1/250 and 1/400 to hand hold it.. You can go slower to get the full circle blur, but you really have to be steady cause the prop will look nice, but the rest will be a bit soft...
    Thanks Rich.... I do know what you mean about not tempting fate twice...

11. Thanks Wade.. Yep I know Now I know why I normally don't bother with DPR....
    Thanks.. But I thought I would be different...