1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Just a few from the feeder...***Edit***Added RBWP that just landed

Discussion in 'Birds' started by sjlarue, Jul 25, 2008.

1. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO
    Hard week this week, but I couldn't let the week go by without taking some pics. So I did a little stay around the feeder and see what comes along.

First a cute cardinal:
    cardinal.

Finally got a decient nuthatch:
    Nuthatch.

And finally a first for my feeder, a House Fench:
    HouseFinchlr.

Hope you like.

CC welcome.

Gotta go...I see Chickadees!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2008
  2. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO
    ooh ooh, I just finished posting this and another first for my yard: I'm gonna have to find a suet cake:biggrin::
    redbelliedwoodpecker.
    It's a bit hazy due to the glass from my window, I am going to try to PP it out later.

***edit*** There we go all better. You may have to refresh browser to show the updated pic

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2008
  3. russowl

russowl

Jun 9, 2008
    Lima,Ohio
    Some great backyard birds shots Steve,, I went to Kiser Lake yesterday ,, we seen great white egrets ,, great blue herons , green herons , kingfishers,, no captures on these ,, couldn't get close enough,,, we got some cedar waswings ,, eastern wood peewee's ,, kingbirds,,, I think a willow flycatcher ,, a blue grey/gnatcatcher ,, buzzards by the hundreds,, and heard a lot of birds ,, nice place to go to

4. MFowler

MFowler

Apr 18, 2008
    Texas
    Very nice BYB shots, I really need to look into getting a bird feeder or 2 in mine.

5. I'll trade ya house finches for chickadees 2 to 1. Just now starting to see a few around again and still only in the woods where before I had em at feeders all the time

6. ArtO

ArtO

Jun 14, 2008
    Florida
    Nice shots. They must enjoy your feeders.

7. Your feeders don't look like feeders either! What's the secret?! Nice shooting too! Love that cardinal!

8. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO
    Thanks russ, I went there a couple of times a few years ago. That is an awesome lake. The best part...no motors!

Thanks Matt. The best thing is if you have kids...they can "help" put the food in. My four year old loves to bring a jar of food out to the feeder for me.
    This week was the first week that I saw them as well. I think I've seen about 5 or 6 sets today (male and female).
    Nah, just the feed. :biggrin:
    Let me zoom out..
    feeder.
    The Cardinal was looking for dropped seeds. Nuthatch was waiting for a perch. The Finch was the only one on the feeder. and I played with the angle of the crop to get the finch straight-ish. The woodpecker...well I don't know why it was there. Feeder would have closed if it landed on it. so it must have been savaging like the cardinal.

The feeder is one of those "squirrel proof" feeders that are sold at wally world and black oil sunflower seeds. With my old feeder, it took the squirrels about four months to get the courage to jump the six feet from the tree trunk. So I went and got this one. It seems to do the job.

I decided to to go to straight sunflower seeds because of the amount of seedlings that were forming under my feeder. The sparrows were throwing a lot down on the ground (for the morning doves:wink::biggrin:)  So I decided to save money in the long run and buy the straight sunflower seeds.

Thanks again every one.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.