Just a few hours - 70-200mm for Arches NP

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by F15Todd, Apr 14, 2007.

1. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    In just a few hours (early Sunday morning) I'm heading down to Moab, Utah to hit Arches NP and possible wonder in to Canyonlands NP. I have the D2Xs, 12-24mm, 28-70, and the 70-200mm packed. But I'm really eyeing swapping the D2Xs out and taking the D200 instead. No real reason for thinking of swapping other then saving a few oz.

Hell I'm sure in the end I will just end up hiking with both of them. For those of you that have been to Arches before, do you think I will use the 70-200mm that much?

2. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Todd :

There are some interesting angle shots of places like Delicate Arch where the 70-200mm could be useful. There are a number of angles folks don't think of for a number of the arches - I wish I'd had the 70-200mm the last time I was there, actually.

As well, if you go over into Dead Horse Point SP (you can transit from there to Canyonlands if you have 4WD and good nerves), there are some spots where it could be of benefit. Spider Canyon and Big Canyon, on the way over to DHPSP are both pretty interesting locations. Look for signs for "Potash" just north of the road exit for Arches NM when coming up from Moab, and turn left. It's in many ways more amazing than Arches or Canyonland. You can get a map locally when you arrive.

Bring water and gear if you do the DHPSP or the White Rim route in Canyonlands. Car breakdowns are actually more common than ideally planned for. But that run over from Arches through DHPSP is worth the effort, IMO.

And, as an aside, there was a pretty good brewpub in Moab with decent food.

Have a grand time, and post some neat photos on your return !

John P.

3. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    Thanks for the info John. I'm only going to take one pack with me, so I'll only be working with my CamelBak Explorer, it hold 100oz of water and a good amount of gear. Still have to workout how to hold the tripod, but I have a garage full of bungee cords so I'll work something out.