Just a few pretty birdies! (5 photos)

Discussion in 'Birds' started by cajun angel, May 19, 2007.

1. Well, I managed to talk mxmark into taking us up to Hagerman today and oh I'm so glad we did! I got shots of birds I haven't seen before, some not "good enough" to post for technical stuff, but I was able to ID most of them. Well, here's a sampling of what I did think was passable..... I had a lot of ostacles in my way - like bouncy kids in the van, mx mark wanting the camera, motor not turned off - well, you get the picture....

Green heron (?) having an early dinner
    505305099_d79b94cc67_b.

cattle egret in breeding plumage wondering what I'm up to
    View attachment 96425

snowy egret (?)
    View attachment 96426

This one is very badly backlit and I'm not sure but think it's a tricolor?
    View attachment 96427

Okay, I got tired of looking birds up, not sure about this one
    View attachment 96428

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Not bad at all, Dianne. Looks like a great day at Hagerman. Keep up the great work.

3. Andyc

Andyc

Nov 6, 2006
    South Wales UK
    Another nice series Dianne. I love the last one but cannot help with ID.

Best regards
    Andy

4. midi

midi Guest

Yes, a very nice series Dianne. I wonder if the last one is some sort of Lark?

5. Nice shooting Dianne. I like that first one. Mmm Mmmm good.

6. Boy your getting some sweet shots Dianne

7. very nice Dianne... I really like the Egret photo. Around here they are VERY hard to get close too.

I think that last bird is a female red-winged blackbird...

8. Thanks Frank! It was fun! If the birdies were on Marks' side of the van, he got em, on my side, I got em! LOL, it was fun! And that bean bag certainly made shooting from the van enjoyable! Now if the kids would stay still...:rolleyes:

Thanks! I think I know what it is but somehow disappointed - I think it's a female black bird. No matter what it is though, it's fun being able to get a good shot despite wiggly kids!

Thanks! I think it's a female black bird

Thanks! I almost missed it because there was another further out in the water and I was "fuming" because my lens wasn't longer! LOL! I think Mark spotted this one fishing! Just wish it had been a tad sharper.

Thanks Gary! It's all in having fun, getting out of the house, and teaching the kids to appreciate wildlife.
    Thanks Paul! egrets are skittish around here too! You should have seen how many we chased to get just 1 half-way decent shot! And thanks for the birdie ID!

9. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    The Last One Is

A Female red winged black bird :)

10. Thanks Jim! I was hoping for something more "glamorous" but okay, I'll take anything that I can get a sharp photo on!

11. My favorite has got to be that green heron enjoying his supper! Good catch! Sounds like you had a fun day and got to see some great birdies. I'd love to see a Snowy Egret one of these days....

12. Thanks Connie! I think I could have done better if the kids hadn't been so wiggly! Despite the van being turned off, using my bean bag for support, they were shaking the van! Oh well, it was a fun day and a good diversion.

13. Dianne you are doing great. That lens is so nice. Good job.

14. You sure are putting that lens to good use! Nice series.

15. Gee, thanks guys! I love this lens! I like getting out as often as I can, especially when I can talk the hubby into doing the driving! Funny part though, if he sees something on his side of the road, he nabs the camera. Guess we better not leave home without an extra! :rolleyes::biggrin:

16. Yup, TriColored Heron for sure. Nice shots, with the Snowie being the best, according to my taste in birds.
    Keep on shooting - its the only way to get better.

17. Thanks! I"m working on it! I only go to Hagerman when I can talk the hubby into it. I have an opportunity to go with some birders and photograph while they do their thing, but just haven't had the time yet. I may try for it after the kids are out of school. And it's fun! I like waiting until I get home to ID the birdies I don't know about - like the differences in the egrets! Now that was fun!

18. Geej

Geej

Aug 11, 2005
    Northern Colorado
    It looks like it was a good day for you at Hagerman. Wonderful series of birdie photos!

19. Thanks Gloria! We always have a good time up there! And despite the flooding and roads being closed or a bit too questionable for safe passage, we found tons of critters to shoot! I still gotta post mxmark's photos.

20. Nice series Dianne and I agree I would think it to be a RWBB female.
    Lou