Just a glass...

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by JPS, Sep 25, 2008.

1. I shot this one with only one 100W. Elinchrom in a 24" x 24" softbox on the left (~45 degrees above and side-ways, 6 feet away), and a white reflector at 1 foot on the right.

Nikon D200 with Tamron SP90 - 7 shots at 1:250 @ f/6.7 - ISO 100

original.jpg

Comments, critics ?

Cheers,
    J-P.

2. I like it. The pure simplicity and combination of shape and light make it a winner. My only nit is that you can see the reflection of the softbox on the base of the glass. Easily fixed,Vince

3. Hi Vincent !

Thanks for the comment !

(I was beginning to think that this image might be very BAD, or, worse, absolutely uninteresting, as there were more than 60 "views" and no t one comment or critic :confused: !)

I tried to suppress the reflection of the softbox on the foot of the glass, but found out that, then, i should also suppress the -large- reflection IN the glass.... so i soon dropped the idea !

...that will be my next step: trying to SEE and CORRECT -before to shoot !- the parasitic reflections on/in a shiny object ! ...guess it will take some time before i succeed :rolleyes: !

Cheers,
    J-P.

4. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

5. Excellent capture....works for me

6. Thanks Paul and John !

:smile:
    J-P.

7. photofox

photofox

Jun 8, 2008
    Over here
    Wonderful shot with great stacking skills. :)

8. Thank you !

Thanks to "CombineZP" or "Helicon Focus", i don't remember wich i used to stack these :smile:...

Cheers,
    J-P.

9. lmatney

lmatney

Oct 25, 2007
    Goodyear, AZ
    Very nice J-P. I love shots like this. They get me thinking about light and how it can be so beautiful and interesting. Thanks for posting.

10. Thanks Larry !

As i wrote before, there are still some little things to improve in the lighting, or more precisely in the "hiding" of unwanted reflections, but as photography isn't my primarely JOB, i can spend as much time as i want, trying to get better !

:smile:
    J-P.

11. Well done, J-P! The only criticism I have of the whole image is that there is no red reflection from the missing contents! :599: :biggrin:

12. Thanks Sandi !

That was a great reflection !

:wink:
    J-P.

13. Sometimes, Jean-Pierre, some of us take at least 58 views to decide whether the glass is new or old...we are talking about the wine container, not your lens :biggrin:

The stem seems quite old to me...go on, tell me I am wrong!!

I love the leathery effect in the reflection, à gauche, and hardly noticed the softbox.

I have an old, English, small, blue and white porcelain bowl that I have not yet succeeded in capturing to my satisfaction.

Congratulations on achieving success with your glass !!

All the best

14. An excellent image well rendered in b&w.
    William Rodriguez
    Miami, Florida.

15. I always look forward to your work. And this one is very nice!

16. Thanks Charlie, William and Rich !

BTW, the image is indeed in "color"... but as the glas is transparent and the background is black.....

:wink:
    J-P.

PS. Charlie, i tried to find a lighting for porcelain bowls that a potter neighbour asked me to shoot, but NEVER found a satisfying solution ! ...so, although i shot several dozens of pics, i haven't kept a single one !