Just a picture of Baby Blue that I got around to PP.

Discussion in 'Birds' started by BirdLady, Apr 27, 2007.

1. BirdLady

BirdLady

Jan 8, 2006
    Alabama
    Eastern Bluebird (Female)

This is the female that I call Baby Blue. She is still coming around with her mate. Her parents are still trying to chase her and him out of my yard. They should bring their babies here in a couple of days. I hope that I get a good shot of one of them.

original.

I hope you like this one. It is one of my favorite picture of her.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2007
  2. Dayo

Dayo

May 1, 2006
    Bahrain
    Nice. I hope you don't mind me asking but is this the actual BG for the shot or was the bird pasted it?

Cheers

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    It is a beauty Debbie.

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    They are darling little birds.
    We don't have them here.
    Very pretty

5. Wow that detail is so beautiful

6. Tim O

Tim O

Jun 11, 2006
    Illinois
    Great shot Debbie,hope you get a chance to capture the little ones too.:smile:

7. What a beauty she is! Gorgeous photo too!

8. Beautiful shot Debbie

9. Wow...Great shot Debbie!

Anthony

10. radz

radz

Nov 12, 2005
    NewDelhi,India
    Beautiful,you lucky to have these pretty models in your backyard!:)..

11. DoorMan

DoorMan Guest

Very, VERY nice photo Debbie!

12. BirdLady

BirdLady

Jan 8, 2006
    Alabama
    Thanks, everyone.

Dayo, this the actual BG minus a few branches.

13. Nice detail Debbie. Now you say this is young from another pair you have already in your yard? If this is so how many BB boxes do you have spaced out as I know this can be a very territorial thing. I was under the impression that BB boxes need a good 300 feet between and faceing some small branches and a field so is this working out for you and the birds.
    Lou

14. BirdLady

BirdLady

Jan 8, 2006
    Alabama
    Lou, the Eastern Bluebird, nestboxes should be placed 100 to 150 yards apart. The Western and Mountain Bluebird boxes should be about 300 yards apart. I have around 5 EB boxes, a couple of Carolina Chickadee, Carolina Wren, Woodpecker and a few other boxes too. Neither Baby Blue nor her parents nested in any of the boxes. I had a male House Sparrow to claim one of the EB boxes and I had to get rid of him (I purchased a HS trap from NABS). A pair of Carolina Chickadees claimed the second favorite EB box. A pair of Tufted Titmice claimed one too and so did a pair of Carolina Wrens. My original EB did build a nest in the box after I got rid of the male HS. I guess they wanted to lay claim on it for their next brood.

The parents of Baby Blue allowed her to stay here this winter but when spring was near, they would fight with her to get her out of my yard. When she started coming around with her mate, Baby Blue's dad would fight with him, while her mother fought with her. Baby Blue's eggs hatched before her mother. The determination of wanting to feed her babies wax worms and meal worms overtook her and she put up with the fighting. The fighting sometime is not that bad because now they all have babies to feed.

My dear friend Faye, who passed away last year had around 15 boxes. Her house was near a river and she seemed to never have a problem with them fighting until mating season.

Faye was the lady I originally purchased my worms from until she got sick. She talked with the company that she was getting the worms from and they told her that they would sell them to me. I have a case of wax worms sent to my house every week and meal worms about once a month.

15. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Yeah, and now she's got me doing it. I haven't started the wax worms yet, but I've been ordering the 10K bags of meal worms for a little over a month now (on my 3rd order). I'm hoping that the latest order will be there when I get home tonight. Otherwise, my birdies are going to be mad at me. :rolleyes: