1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Just an NX example, foggy day

Discussion in 'Nikon Capture and View NX' started by Commodorefirst, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    And of course, I am sorry, I did not save the steps, I just saved as JPG and closed the nef without saving,

In an nutshell, here are the settings and what I did,

ISO 800, normal noise reduction in camera, standard +1 sat pic setting, Auto WB, sharpening to 4 in camera, Raw compressed, D300 and 200-400VR

Original image, Juvy Black Crown Night Heron, as you can see a foggy day, and a long long way off.

[​IMG]

And the finished product:

[​IMG]

another head angle:

[​IMG]

First step, crop to a 4x5 ratio, check WB, fine to my eye even after several tries and adjustments. Next adjust EV down -.33 in quick mode, (nothing wrong with the exposure, wanted to remove the fog and darken up things) also contrast up, saturation up, adjust levels both black (up a lot), and mid point, (mid point lower to .9) all in quick mode.

New step, adjust saturation/warmth up a tiny bit more, New Step, a touch of color boost overall, (5 is all I added)

new step,
    Selective sharpening on the bird 21, 11, 4, brush in place and I think that is about it, no color points or anything like that.

just printed an 8x10, looks great and it will be fine even larger.

cheers,

Wade

2. Wow Wade, that is a very impressive save!!

3. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    thanks Gretchen,

I had to go a bit darker than I wanted to remove all that blasted fog, when I was home I almost threw the shots out, but I did a quick 100% view and saw they were very sharp right out of the camera.

It is remarkable how much data and material the camera can capture that we can't see with the eye. Note the cobwebs, and other stuff in the background.

4. Very impressive! Those say a lot about the power of a NEF and the advantage of great glass--and a talented photographer!

5. Very nice conversion, Wade! Thanks for showing the difference between the original and the edited versions. Your posts will remind me to never toss an image if the focus is sharp.

6. Nice save Wade.

Don

7. That is amazing Wade. Nice job in saving these beautiful images.

8. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    I personally think

that is a stunning bit of processing....imo.

You have totally totally transformed the very flat images (had to look for the bird!!!) into a super image. Excellent excellent excellent!!!!!

Very best wishes
    Ray

ps I hear people talk about NX etc,.....I use Photoshop only.....is NX Nikon's softeware and is it better?

Thanks

9. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    thanks Ray, yes it is a Nikon product with help in a partnership with Nik software. Not better, just different. I do think you could do almost the same thing in CS3 since I did not use color control points, but having the in camera settings being used in the raw conversion helps out a lot.

10. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Thanks Nick, glad to see all those large Hard drives for file storage are put to good use.

Thanks Mike, having a sharp image is key.

11. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri

thanks Don and Gordon, appreciate your kind words.

Wade

12. I just can't help but laugh knowing that was in response to Ray. There is nothing that he can't do in CS3.

13. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    :biggrin:

but I agree, would be harder though. but doable.

14. Wileec

Wileec Guest

Easily done in PS CS3 - with ACR

This could easily have been accomplished using ACR in CS3. Sharp image and workable NEF is the key. If you got that, you have what you need.

Additionally, I would have desaturated the leaves a bit, so the heron is also the point of greatest contrast/saturation, whereas, to my eye, the intensity of the leaves competes with that of the heron - minor point of opinion/preference. When we make big adjustments to what we start with, one has to be mindful of what it's doing to all parts of the image - so that the intended subject gets to stay the intended subject, without competition. It is a nice job - just quibbling.

I hope to learn CNX2 at some point. It seems it would be a great addition to my tool box.

15. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Interesting point about the leaves and background, I thought about it some, and decided in the original the bird and background compete, so I thought I would leave it with global adjustments, but I will revisit and I had thought about reducing the leaves intensity.

Thanks for the heads up on your thoughts, do appreciate it!

The fact that NX reads the in camera settings, assisted me in color, and while I was able to get about the same in CS3 when I tried it a while ago, I needed little more complicated color levels work. Also, when I was experimenting around , it took a bit more care and work to avoid the noise. I ended up using noise ninja with my CS3 attempt, so to my mind that isn't as easy, but time wise wasn't much different. NX read the noise reduction applied in camera and nothing further was needed in that area.

Thanks again,

Wade

Key is not necessarily the instrument or tool, but the fact that there are several different tools that work the same.

16. If it was a pig, I'd say you put lipstick on it. :biggrin:

But it wasn't. Nice work!

17. StephanieHelen

StephanieHelen

Jun 9, 2006
    Whoa, what a nice save, time to read up on NX :) 

18. Amazing

This is amazing stuff, I would never have guessed that this was possible. Very very nice.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.