Just another D2X picture

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Catz, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Today was such a gorgeous day. The first one in months. Temp was 68 and sunny. I had plans on taking some pictures around 3 so there would be at least some light left. However, things don't always turn out the way you want them too so I had to settle for 6pm.

Here is one of the many I could get in before it was totally dark. Some processing to lighten it up a little and resized it for the forum.

Please give me some pointers, critiques, good or bad. I wanted to use a flash but the SB-800 is still a learning curve. This picture was shot in M.

2. Nice job

Especially considering the difficult shooting conditions, with the sunset in the backgorund it is hrd to get all the detail in the foreground at the same time.

Don't know how you exposed this. When I try to do these kinds of shots i try by underxposing by say -1 then use D-lightning (or highlight/shadow in PS) to get it back. RAW will get you more details in the shadows and highlights of course.

How are you getting aloing with your settings? did you get any use for the ones I sent you?

3. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Catz,
    I couldn't get your image to come up.. noticed you have Img twice at end of your link and not one in front of it... I think it needs one in front and one at end........I always highlight my link and then click on "Img' up in the box above..

I'll take the Img of the end of your site and try to get it to come up.

Did you get a rolling backpack?

Thanks and best to you, Gaye

4. Hi Andreas,

I have been meaning to email you to tell you that the attachment was not with the email. Would you be kind enough to email the attachement to me again? Thank you!

Here are the settings to the picture I used...jpeg fine (8bit) Large image, focal length 31mm Exp Mode: Manual, Metering Mode: Multi-Pattern 1/10 sec - F/9, 0 EV, ISO 100, Auto WB, AF Mode: AF-S. Color Mode III (sRGB)

You know Andreas, This is where I have problems remembering and that is remembering to change the Color Mode depending on what the picture is.

Too many settings to choose from. I know what I could have done and that was move up the ISO because I tried to use Exposure Compensation but I must not have used enough.

Hi Gaye,

Thank you..I keep forgetting how to embed an image here because I only ever did it once. I can change it once I figure it out again.

As for the rolling backpack, I have seen many on the net. Haven't chose one. What I have been using as a temporary is a carryon bag with wheels that you take on an airplane and it works well except everything is not protected like it should be. I have using tea towels to cover my lenses and cameras but doesn't work as well as being encased by foam.

Melissa

5. Hi Melissa

I do not own a D2X yet, but I do have a D2H. For what it is worth, I found that I ended up shooting in color mode II all the time, and ocnverting to I or III afterwards in Capture if I thought I should - basically for portraits, where I gives better skin tones than II.

However, the D2X has more oprtions so my procedure may not be the best.

Rory.

6. I think you did quite well Melissa. Whenever you have a darker foreground and bright sky a split neutral density (ND) filter can work wonders. I believe your camera's meter got about as much out of this as it could, especially since you were shooting in JPEG. It is a pleasant image and as you keep working with your D2X you will get even better. By the way, a flash would have done nothing for you in this case. Also, it is not necessary to change color mode with each new condition. Most of us pick a color space and stay with it. If I were shooting JPEG I would use sRGB. When shooting in RAW I use Adobe RGB and then convert to sRGB later in the processing.

7. Rory,

Thank you for offering help to me and as far as I know, the color modes are the same for both cameras.

Gordon,

Thank you too. It was a little brighter when I got to this waterfall park today and have a lighter picture to show but I thought the composition was better on this one and I felt I would need more help on this one. I am still learning about night photography and Gordon, I do have some ND filters but never occured to me to use them for this shot so now I know better next time.

Thanks again to you both.

Gaye,

I hope you were to pull up the picture.

Melissa

8. Thank you Gaye. Your advice worked. Now I will always remember to hightlight and then click on img.

Melissa

9. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Hey GJ, highlighting the pasted url works!

What a stroke of genius! I usually click the "img" button, then paste in my url, adding .jpg, then have to click img once *again* to add the closing caption. Your way is so much better. Paste, add .jpg, highlight, THEN click the "img" button![/img]

10. Pretty shot Catz!! Way to go!! I like that waterfall!! :D :D :D

11. Thank you PhotoDawg for the compliment. Again, it was the only nice day we had here for a long time.

My goal is to get to the point where I can make this waterfall freeze and have that dreamy look that others I have seen been able to do.

Do you haven any idea on how to do this? Like what shutter I should be using?

Thank you,

Melissa

12. Hi Melissa,

Close your lens down to f16 or thereabouts and then perhaps put on a ND filter. What you are trying to do is to slow your shutter speed down to around 3-10 seconds. Of course you will need a tripod for this type of shot. Try this in early morning or late afternoon when the light is beginning to fade.

13. Thank you so much Gordon

Gordon,

Thank you for the info. As soon as the weather is warm again, I want to try this again. This is really good info to have. I have a tripod so not a problem and going down to the waterfall at any time of day is fine because it is only down the road from me.

Melissa