Just another morning on the Fork

Real Name
Bill
I apologize in advance for the boringness of these pictures but the back story is anything but boring.

Shortly after my wife headed off to school I got a call from her. The mother and baby moose that had been cruising the river bed behind the house were in our neighbors field. I was getting ready to head out to the valley but a detour to see a couple of moose was worth it. Between the time when my wife called and I got there which was maybe 5 minutes the pair decided they would cross the road. When I got there the mom was very franticly running around and the calf was no where to be found. When I found the calf it was thrashing around under the fencing that lines the road its rear hoof bound between the bottom two wires. With one eye on the frantic mom ( bear spray in hand ) and the other on the calf I tried to pry the barbed wire apart but couldn't as it was now very tight. I went back to the truck to get some wires cutters but fortunately right then another vehicle pulled up with two guys in it. The three of us were able to spread the wires enough to free its hoof. The calf laid there for a couple of minutes before joining it's mom.
Sorry I don't have any pictures of the trapped moose but I was more focused on freeing the calf and not getting stomped on by the mom who was anything but happy about the whole situation.

1 Here they are heading back across the road back to the willows along our river.
Quickly took this one without even looking at my settings hence the ridiculous SS
Moose Rescue.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Moose Rescue 2.jpg

Moose Rescue 3.jpg

Last edited:
Real Name
Dan
Quite a story, Bill. That's quite a dilemma trying to help a calf with the mother nearby. Glad it worked out OK.

Real Name
Bill
Nice work helping the calf. A round of Moose Drool for everybody!

--Ken
Thanks, I take my Moose drool with a teaspoon of honey.
Wow!! That's quite the story. So glad all three of you were unharmed.

Thanks Terri, at least Mama Moose was still on the other side of the fence.
so good to read this story. The poor mom and calf must have been frantic. thankfully you were there to save the day. In the last image I can imagine mom giving you a thank you look. Well done Bill

Thanks Bob. I'll never forget it.

McQ

Still looking to break 80 consistently.
Real Name
Glenn
Bill, that is anything but boring! Thanks for helping that calf! The photos are still nice, and I'd much rather hear that you helped the calf than took photos of it stuck there!

Latest threads

Top Bottom