1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Just Birdies (3 photos)+ woodpecker

Discussion in 'Birds' started by cajun angel, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Okay, went out to the Heard and had a bit of "practice" shooting. I still have trouble with exposure - what to change first - ISO, F-stop, etc. These were taken in kinda harsh lighting, so critique if you please.

Juvenile Carolina Wren?
    2692702213_5a2b064a7c_b.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2693518092_f54cef6800_b.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Junenile Titmouse
    View attachment 225495

woodpecker
    View attachment 225496

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2008
  2. Hey Dianne,
    wow, sweet shots, the second one is really sharp, the last one has alot of character along with the first one. Congrats on some fine shooting!
    Kevin P.

3. Thanks Kevin! I was determined to get in some really good practice today - I'm wanting to start printing only the good stuff! Thanks for stoppin by!

4. good shots

the first one seems like the focal point is on the mid body not the eyes (I like to focus on the eyes of my subjects)

the second one is good - maybe a lil cropping for composition would make it better

the titmouse is cute - but seems a bit fuzzy to me

5. Thanks! I tried to focus on the eyes every time, sometimes the birdies would be quicker than me - I was constantly trying to get my exposure right, these may have been taken before I got the tripod out of the car. I really appreciate your input!

6. no problem - with no camera - I've got nothing better to do than critique others shots! (not that I take perfect shots either but I know what I like)

7. Well, how was my exposure? I've been reading books, but I learn better by doing. The exif info can been seen in my flickr acct if you can't get it with opanda.

8. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    Dianne, the second photo is the best technically. It is the sharpest and cleaneast of the three. You are doing very good.:wink:

The real question is "why don't you have a photo posted of the woodpecker from your flicker account?":confused: 

9. Thanks! I'm assuming I'm finally getting it right, just need more practice, and gotta build my confidence. Guess I'm too used to seeing my own LOUSY photos when I comparie myself to others! I didn't post a woodpecker because I had not finished going through all the photos I had taken. And because I was thinking my photos weren't good, I didn't want to inflict any more pain than I had to..... so, especially for you, I'll post one of the woodpeckers where I started the thread - and thanks for the boost!

10. Nice shots Dianne and I would agree that your second shot is the best. It sure looks like you were close to these guys.

11. ArtO

ArtO

Jun 14, 2008
    Florida
    Very nice shots. I'm a big woodpecker fan so that's my favorite of the group but the wren is awfully cute.

12. Dianne - what lens were you shooting with? The Woodpecker is a bit OOF - maybe a faster shutter speed is needed if they aren't sitting still?

exposures seem to be fine to me - what mode do you shoot in (I always shot manual for my birds)

I am far from a photography or birding expert as more often than not my shots are OOF as well - so take what I type with a grain of salt :) 

13. I was shooting with my 300mm f4 with a 1.4 TC attached. I think I may have "jarred" the tripod or something. Were the other 2 (on flickr) OOF as well? I may need to have my eyes checked again.

14. Hmm the other two look about the same to me (although they look fine in smaller formats)

maybe my eyes are going too

15. Well, it's also possible I could have been in a hurry to get the bird, I was running out of time, I had told the kids I'd be home before 12:30, and it was getting close to time to pack up. I'll be going back for sure, especially after school starts!

16. TimK

TimK

Apr 17, 2006
    Hong Kong, China
    Nice shots, Dianne! How do you train those birds to "Sit" and "Heel"?

I think your exposure is fine. Light is a bit harsh as you say, but there is very little you can do about that!

17. LOL, very funny! And thanks! Just throw out some delicious bird seed and say "here birdie, birdie!" :wink::biggrin:

18. SteveK

SteveK

Mar 16, 2005
    Alaska
    Dianne, with the light so harsh that the background is black, it makes exposures very difficult indeed. While digital does have better latitude than film did, it still is very difficult having pure black and white (woodpecker breast) in an image. I'm assuming that the background in these photos was a shaded area. If you can change your point of view to have a background that is lit, you will find it easier to get proper exposures.

19. Thanks Steve! That blind is facing the North east I think. If I get on the other side of it, I'm in the woods and tall grassy area and very prone to snakes. ANd yes, the background was shaded. The platform feeder was in a very small "clearing" with trees, tall grass, and bushes on all sides - some even in front of the blind. I'm too afraid of snakes to risk getting on the other side. Maybe in the Fall when the snakes go in to their hibernation, I'll attempt that. And thanks for your input!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.