Just bit the bullet on the 35mm f1.4 ais.

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by swmlon, Sep 4, 2008.

1. after flipfloping on the 35mm f1.4 and the 50mm f1.2 i finally bit the bullet and settled on the 35mm f1.4 (though the 50 is not too far away me thinks).

both are great lens, and the samples i saw today were pretty much as new, they looked like they had hardly been taken out of the box. I settled on the 35 because i think it will give me more creative opportunity.

cant wait to take it out tomorrow and this weekend. very excited.

shing

2. Good for you Shing. I believe that this is one of the best Ai-S lenses there is.

3. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Sounds good to me Shing, I'm sure you'll do very well with it.

If you haven't allready check out recent threads by Francis (Phillip Ino), he bought one a few weeks ago and has been posting lots of samples and info.

4. I know, he is one of the guys that pushed me over the edge on the 35... lol

5. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    suburbia, ny
    I think he has the Sigma 20 1.8 Robert

kgill has the 35 1.4, if I'm not mistaken

6. well, who ever has it, i blame them, all of them!!! LOL!

just taking some snap shots of objects and bits and bob in my room. WOW!!! can only imagine what this is like outside in the big bad world

7. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Yeah they do... sorry I misread the title, I though it said 85/1.4 AIS which Francis picked up a while ago

8. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    suburbia, ny
    :biggrin::wink:

no worries Robert, thought I missed something...

Dude and Taylor got me started with these AiS lenses
    I had to abandon them for lack of metering/ manual focus with my D80

now I am ready to try a few again with my D300

35 1.4 and 105 1.8 are high on my list

I've already got a 55 3.5 macro and tube on the way...

enjoy Shing !!

9. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Yeah, blame it on KGill...
    I think Dude has one too

10. hopefully it is sunny (not likely here in blighty) and i can roll up some velvia in the F2AS. oh if only i bought it earlier in the summer although August was one of the wettest on record over here.

11. kgill

kgill

Jul 25, 2007
    Europe
    Yes, I am guilty as charged. I like mine so much, I bought one for my husband less than 5 days after getting mine... I got a **very** good deal on the one I got for my husband (LN), I couldn't pass it up. It'll be his Christmas present...in September...along with the Sigma 30 f/1.4...which was supposed to be his Christmas present til I found that Nikkor.

I hope to be able to use the 35mm more tomorrow. I haven't had much time since I got it.

Dude is the one who got me to take the plunge-- look for his threads from this summer in Paris where he was trying out all his lenses there. Amazing stuff. Kinda false advertising though because his pictures make it look so easy and effortless... hahahaha

kg

12. I had one and liked it a lot. When I went through some consolidation of my lenses (back to AF), I sold it to finance the new glass I needed to buy
    When I will see one at a reasonable price, I think that I may get one again (underscore reasonable - some folks list these at silly numbers).

13. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    suburbia, ny
    agree Frits
    thats what has been holding me back also...

14. kgill

kgill

Jul 25, 2007
    Europe
    I got my husband's like new with small cosmetic blemish (peeling paint in a minuscule place) for $375. I got mine NIB for $600, so I got two for $975.... As I posted on another thread, the price of this lens, USA model in the US has gone up about $200, to $899, so now the used ones are selling for around $650, and gray market new about that same price. That's why people are listing them at silly numbers... I'm ok with the price I paid for both, more for the second than the first, but I couldn't have gotten it new for less than $600...

15. I would definitely draw the line at $ 400 for a "gently used" one. If I remember well, I sold mine for $ 325,as it had some minor issues (nothing that would affect the image).

16. kgill

kgill

Jul 25, 2007
    Europe
    If you can find one for that price. When I was looking even before the prices of them sky rocketed, it was *very* hard to find a good, semi-recent, copy for under $400, or even close to $400-- and was told by a cafe member to expect to pay between $450 and $500 for one in good condition. As a matter of fact, I never did find one for under $400, and I sat for over a year watching eBay auctions come and go, and Nikonians and Nikoncafe for sale fora...Never was so lucky. So when I saw them this year and checked around for the prices for new, I was happy to pay what I paid-- which included lens hood (for one of them) and shipping and paypal.

Both my copies have serial numbers of 604XXX and 606XXX.

17. yeah, this lens (along with the 50 1.2) had been on my radar from way back when i was shooting with the FA. (i say way back i mean back in 2000). then suddenly both became available at a price i was willing to pay and had to wrack my brain over which one to get. in the end i settled on the 35 because i think it is a better lens and less likely to show up in as new condition for the price i paid.

well, it is miserable here in london so wont be able to take it outside, but will be able to take it to a cafe so might take some snaps.

18. kgill

kgill

Jul 25, 2007
    Europe
    hi i took this with my 35mm f/1.4 AI-S while i was waiting for my friend to arrive at the train station...

2845533715_08b91b2531_b.

19. nice shot :) 

well, i have had the lens now for almost a week. and other than the odd occassion where i wanted something at the tele end, this little gem has not left my D3. i can describe how much fun it is to shoot with and doing things manually. will be posting some pics soon i hope.

bring on New York.

20. kgill

kgill

Jul 25, 2007
    Europe
    JUST POST SOME PICS FOR PETE'S SAKE! If i can post boring pictures of my shoes, you can post your cafe pics! Or pics of YOUR shoes!!! I love to see what other people do with the same lens I have! It gives me perspective. I am in a slump now.

It is really a nice lens, isn't it?!?!??!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.