Just bought a Boda Lens bag last week

Rockingham, NC (Currently in Afghanistan)
I've been trying to decide the best way to carry more than one lens with me on a location shoot. I really haven't had anything that would work for me, as I like to work with my 70-200/2.8, 85/1.4, and 17-55. Obviously, finding a small bag that will tote a 70-200 with lens hood on is pretty tough. I'd heard about the shoot sac by Jessica Claire, and actually got to see one in person on my last model test shoot. Seeing it in person confirmed my suspicions that it wasn't my style. Too girly, and while it can carry a 70-200, it can't do it with the lens hood on, and it's a you know what to get to. So, back to the internet I go. I had seen the Boda lens bag a few times, and wasn't real sure if I liked it. Well, I decided to do a little more research on it, and by large, most of the reviews are really positive. So, I decided to bite the bullet and buy the large Boda Dry. Man, I can't believe I waited this long to buy one of these things. This is the answer to my location work problems! I can easily carry a 70-200 with lens hood on, an 85/1.4 AND a 17-55/2.8 with lens hood on. I could, if I wanted to, carry a 4th lens on my camera, but I think trying to juggle the lenses during a lens change would get a bit hairy, so generally one of those three lenses is on my camera, leaving an empty hole in the bag. Changing lenses is a matter of removing one, dropping it in the hole, and pulling out the other one I want. This bag isn't nearly as large and bulky as the website makes it look, and it's definitely not girly like the shoot sac. It comes with a nicely padded shoulder strap, but also has the option of carrying it around your waist. The quality and craftsmanship is top notch. The guy that designed this really went all out. I can carry it with the top flap opened, and folded back against my hip, or if it's raining, I can close the top flap, and my lenses are protected from the elements. I can carry 8 CF cards, my SB-900, a water bottle for the long shoots, a notepad, spare camera batteries as well as spare SB-900 batteries. This thing is nice. I didn't see any reason to take any photos of mine for the review, because there are a couple great reviews with photos on the web already. I highly recommend this bag for those of you who do location work, and like to have more than one lens to work with. It's NOT a camera bag. It's a lens bag, designed for loading up once you get on location. I can't recommend this thing enough. Oh, I forgot to mention, yeah, the bag is a bit expensive, but what in our hobby isn't, right? The website lists it as $200, but I bought mine from Adorama (off Amazon) for less than $150. How they can sell it that cheap is beyond me, but it's well worth it IMHO. This bag is nice! Can you tell I like mine? Here's a couple links to some reviews.

http://armindefiesta.blogspot.com/2008/02/video-and-photos-everyones-been-waiting.html

http://www.lightroomkillertips.com/2008/gear-update-i-love-my-boda/

http://www.revellphotography.com/blog/?p=525

Here's a video that shows the designer showing how it's used.

http://www.insidedigitalphoto.com/product-review/idp-tv-wppi-2008-boda-lens-bags

please post some pics fully loaded...I'm actually interested in the Jr. one.

I'm at work now, but I'll see what I can do tomorrow. If you've checked out those reviews, they give you a pretty good idea. The 70-200/2.8 VR with hood on fits in with maybe 1/2" of the hood sticking above the zipper part. Can still close and zip the top flap. In the other compartment, I can fit my 85/1.4 with hood in place, then fold down the little divider, and set my 17-55/2.8 with hood in place on top of it, and it sticks up almost as high as the 70-200. If I have the 70-200 on my camera, and I want to get my 85, I have a couple choices. One is pull out the 17-55 and place it in the 70-200 slot, then pull out the 85 to make room for the 70-200, but that puts it in the wrong side, since only one side has the little horizontal divider. You can buy another for the other side if you want. Still, not a big deal, because if I then want to put the 17-55 on the camera, I just pull out the 17-55 and then replace it with the 85. Still, I'll get some pics uploaded tomorrow. I would only consider the junior one if I only planned on carrying 2 lenses. It only has one main slot, but it has a divider. If one of your lenses is a long one like the 70-200, then that will take up the whole compartment. Of course, if you only have two lenses, then it's just a matter of removing one from the camera, holding it while you remove the other lens from the bag so you can replace the lens in your hand back in the bag. For me, the large version is the perfect size.

Thanks for the links, pics won't be necessary, the youtube video was pretty good. I like the way he demonstrated switching lenses so fast. But I did notice that he gripped the lens from the front which means that the back part of the lens was exposed to either dust or possible scratched when put into the bag. Adorama has them in stock and maybe I'll take a ride uptown to see it in person. Thanks for the descriptions.

Thanks for the links, pics won't be necessary, the youtube video was pretty good. I like the way he demonstrated switching lenses so fast. But I did notice that he gripped the lens from the front which means that the back part of the lens was exposed to either dust or possible scratched when put into the bag. Adorama has them in stock and maybe I'll take a ride uptown to see it in person. Thanks for the descriptions.

This bag is designed for use with the front and rear caps off. The inside of the bag is soft and not likely to cause any issues unless you get a lot of sand down in there. Besides, I think out of the three lenses I'm using, the rear element on the 85 is the only one that's flush with the bottom of the lens. Heck, the 70-200 rear element is an inch or so inside the lens, so no worries of any scratches there.

This bag is designed for use with the front and rear caps off. The inside of the bag is soft and not likely to cause any issues unless you get a lot of sand down in there. Besides, I think out of the three lenses I'm using, the rear element on the 85 is the only one that's flush with the bottom of the lens. Heck, the 70-200 rear element is an inch or so inside the lens, so no worries of any scratches there.

Ahhhh, I'm almost certain all my primes are flush to the mount...I gotta check it out

Great bag, the links you provided really show this thing off well. I must say I am impressed with it for sure. I wonder, could you put your camera in one side with a 50 or 85mm mounted and a longer zoom in the other? Has anyone done anything like that? I know it is a lens bag but it seems you could configure this think a lot of different ways.

Thanks for sharing this with me. all the best.

Ahhhh, I'm almost certain all my primes are flush to the mount...I gotta check it out

May be. The one I have that's flush mount is the 85/1.4. Still, the lining of the bag is a very smooth material, just like that which lines many camera bags. Same material is inside my Lowe Pro Mini Trekkr AW. If you want an additional level of comfort, you could drop a microfiber cleaning cloth in the bottom of the bag. You can, if you wish, carry the lenses with the caps on, but it will definitely slow you down when changing.

Great bag, the links you provided really show this thing off well. I must say I am impressed with it for sure. I wonder, could you put your camera in one side with a 50 or 85mm mounted and a longer zoom in the other? Has anyone done anything like that? I know it is a lens bag but it seems you could configure this think a lot of different ways.

Thanks for sharing this with me. all the best.

You'd have to have a smaller camera without a grip to do that, but it would be a very tight fit. If you just wanted a holster to carry a camera and long lens, then you can remove the center divider and all lenses, and you can carry a gripped D300 with a 70-200 if you reverse the lens hood. You could then carry a smaller lens, like the 50mm, or similar prime (even a compact consumer zoom) in the mesh water bottle pouch on the side. Obviously that lens wouldn't be as protected from the elements as it would if it were inside.

Latest threads

Top Bottom