Just Bought A D850...

So, I run a photography business - just figure skating. Well, it is a niche market and works well for me. My go to camera is typically a D500 (i have 2, 1 for backup). But for some events, I use my D5. Well, a few months ago I was doing a team event with 2 photographers at ice level. One lady (amazing photographer) has a D3s - so I give her my D5 to use. My other photographer has a D4 - about the same IQ. No worries... but, this summer the FAA gods got to him and his flight was delayed. No worries, I have a couple D3s cameras... holy DSLR... the IQ between a D3s and D5 is severe! So, I need a backup... I looked at the 'Z' series but the battery life was, well not acceptable for what I do. So D850... today I started looking... hmmmm... a sign from the Big guy? D850, $500 of and includes a grip.... only until midnight tonight? (so it says). Guess I have that now to add to my stable.... I hope it works for what I do. Anyone use for sports?

Really? My wife does weddings for 8 hours and the Z7 holds well.
I think the spec sheet Nikon put out listed the battery for ~310 shots. This is a huge low ball. I have no issue with the Z6 battery performance. I’m shooting sports and do image review and selection between each stop in action, and often have the camera transmitting to my phone. Battery holds up good.

Real Name
Ian
I think the spec sheet Nikon put out listed the battery for ~310 shots. This is a huge low ball. I have no issue with the Z6 battery performance. I’m shooting sports and do image review and selection between each stop in action, and often have the camera transmitting to my phone. Battery holds up good.
Agreed. I can easily get 1,000+ images out of a battery. The 310 rating is laughable (as most manufacturer ratings are, due to the standardized test method used).

The Z6 was ragged on when it first came out for its lackluster AF and poor battery life. Over the past year of use, neither of those has been an issue for me. I love my Z6, it's a very solid camera.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
I'm not a sports shooter but frequently use the D850 in low light wildlife situations and at high ISO's. If noise is a problem, a quick run through DxO's PRIME noise reduction (at default settings for NR) removes noise while retaining fine details. You can batch process out of DxO into .tif files.......

D850, ISO 5000, 1/3200
_8502233_DxO-X3.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I'm not a sports shooter but frequently use the D850 in low light wildlife situations and at high ISO's. If noise is a problem, a quick run through DxO's PRIME noise reduction (at default settings for NR) removes noise while retaining fine details. You can batch process out of DxO into .tif files.......

D850, ISO 5000, 1/3200
View attachment 1648957
Karen - I don't have anything to add about the topic but that is an incredible picture! The color, feather detail, and stop action are all really exceptional. It looks like the D850 is really humming for you (no pun intended).

Agreed. I can easily get 1,000+ images out of a battery. The 310 rating is laughable (as most manufacturer ratings are, due to the standardized test method used).
Even at 1,000 photos my EN EL-18 battery gets 12,000+. For what I do, it is high volume so I would be rotating in about 10 batteries a day. That may be hard to believe... but it works. When we do team events (20 skaters on ice) each photographer will take about 300 photos per team, 4 teams in a warmup.... you see the problem. Maybe in a couple of years battery life will catch up.

It is no D5 but except in very low light it will do a wonderful job.
Low light is not an issue. Arenas used to be infamous for dungeon lighting, but most now have converted and LEDs are pretty common.

Great photo Karen!

Believe it or not, it’s easy to do with skating teams. Kevin was gracious enough to let me shoot next to him at a competition more than a few years ago and I still remember hearing the shutter of his D3s never stop.

You shoot 10,000-12,000+ images at an event in one day, one camera?
Well yes. But it depends on the type of competition and how long the day. It is not unusual to get to 16 or 17. Shutter assemblies are cheap.

Believe it or not, it’s easy to do with skating teams. Kevin was gracious enough to let me shoot next to him at a competition more than a few years ago and I still remember hearing the shutter of his D3s never stop.
Hey there... I remember that!

Hey there... I remember that!
Hi Kevin - I think the D850 will serve your needs well. The Z6/Z7 would be capable, and if you turn off the rear screen the battery life is much longer, but still not what I was getting from my DSLRs. You’d also be dealing with a different autofocus system and a much different camera. Handing it off to other photographers could be an unexpected learning curve. The DSLR familiarity and reliability is probably what you need at those events.

Obviously I don’t shoot anywhere near the same number of frames that you do at an event, but I have enjoyed using my gripped D850 for sports. I recently photographed a couple of football games with it, and the 9fps was great considering the large files. The ability to crop while still retaining high resolution came in handy.

I hope all is well. I enjoyed shooting figure skating with you on a few occasions.

Glenn

Obviously I don’t shoot anywhere near the same number of frames that you do at an event, but I have enjoyed using my gripped D850 for sports. I recently photographed a couple of football games with it, and the 9fps was great considering the large files. The ability to crop while still retaining high resolution came in handy.

I hope all is well. I enjoyed shooting figure skating with you on a few occasions.

Glenn
850 showed up today - have a small event this Sunday so will test it out on some practice ice. Yup... still doing a lot of skating... maybe someday I will retire .... oh wait... I did! lol Hope all is great in your world Glenn!

Those are Dazling numbers....where I come from it is one shot only...a good amount of time is for " setting up shop "...( Sinar ).. :)

Those are Dazling numbers....where I come from it is one shot only...a good amount of time is for " setting up shop "...( Sinar ).. :)
This is a little different world. If I take a good amount of time setting up the shot, the next skater will be on the ice...lol. Probably a lot of people think I am crazy and not doing it right; but my goal is to take as many, in focus, well framed action photos of each skater to show the parents the joy and emotion in their athlete's eyes. Then you couple that with 100-200 of those photos emotion takes over and the parent buys them all. It is a model that has worked for over 10 years but really is a niche market (failed miserably in high school sports). We travel coast to coast each year doing this.

This is a little different world. If I take a good amount of time setting up the shot, the next skater will be on the ice...lol. Probably a lot of people think I am crazy and not doing it right; but my goal is to take as many, in focus, well framed action photos of each skater to show the parents the joy and emotion in their athlete's eyes. Then you couple that with 100-200 of those photos emotion takes over and the parent buys them all. It is a model that has worked for over 10 years but really is a niche market (failed miserably in high school sports). We travel coast to coast each year doing this.
I envy you....apart from that sheer hard work , seeing the appreciation of your clients is certainly a rewarding factor not to be underestimated , my Sinar was sold long ago, it`s all digital now , with PC Nikkors mostly....so much more comfy and quicker ...the one shot has been replaced by three taken in rapid succession....yet , still based on that " one shot only " philosophy... and you think that you are crazy...:joyful:

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom