Just Bought A D850...

Thanks... the laughter and excitement of the skaters looking at their own photos is worth more than the money... well almost lol. But, that is what I refer to as the 'cocaine'. The more of that I hear, the more of that I want to hear and that keeps it going.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This is a little different world. If I take a good amount of time setting up the shot, the next skater will be on the ice...lol. Probably a lot of people think I am crazy and not doing it right; but my goal is to take as many, in focus, well framed action photos of each skater to show the parents the joy and emotion in their athlete's eyes. Then you couple that with 100-200 of those photos emotion takes over and the parent buys them all. It is a model that has worked for over 10 years but really is a niche market (failed miserably in high school sports). We travel coast to coast each year doing this.
Just wanted to add my 2cents on shutter count. For some of us 8k to10k clicks is a normal day. Being stationed at an obstacle at a Spartan race that has 7,500 participants, one could easily do 20,000 shots. I've done gymnastic competitions over 2 days and have take 25,000 shots. I just traded in a D5, 14 months old, with 123,000 clicks on the shutter, and I don't travel outside New England.

Just wanted to add my 2cents on shutter count. For some of us 8k to10k clicks is a normal day. Being stationed at an obstacle at a Spartan race that has 7,500 participants, one could easily do 20,000 shots. I've done gymnastic competitions over 2 days and have take 25,000 shots. I just traded in a D5, 14 months old, with 123,000 clicks on the shutter, and I don't travel outside New England.
I routinely replace the shutter when the count gets around the million mark. I had a D500 fail at 500k, but it fell off my telescope and bounced off a table then landed on wood floor. It failed a week after that. Shutters are cheap.

Real Name
David
A little side bar.

I wonder if still from video might be easier? I've only used it a few times, but you can easily pull an 8mp still from 4k video. Just a thought.

And I'd HATE to cull through that many images. I always kicked myself when I would get carried away at an event and shot over 1500 images. I understand why you do, my subjects weren't moving that fast. You must have your culling process down to science.

A little side bar.

I wonder if still from video might be easier? I've only used it a few times, but you can easily pull an 8mp still from 4k video. Just a thought.

And I'd HATE to cull through that many images. I always kicked myself when I would get carried away at an event and shot over 1500 images. I understand why you do, my subjects weren't moving that fast. You must have your culling process down to science.
Pulling stills from 4K would involve way too much work.

I never really see any of the images - well, if I do a very small percentage. Funny, I will quite often stand behind a Customer looking at the photos... After a warm up group of skaters is finished the cards are ingested, and filed by skater/event by someone at my table. The only culling that goes on at the table is a quick view for out of focus images, falls and limbs going out of the frame which are deleted. All are sold right out of camera - zero editing (I know, blasphemy...). So, every time I press the shutter, I am done with that image.😁

You are bringing back great old memories- I was one of those ooing at the images. My son was a competitive skater/dance. Bronze at Nationals.
My daughter was on a cheerleading squad that competed nationally/internationally. Wife spent thousands on these images over the years. Worth every penny, and we still have several of these.
It is like cocaine, maybe cocaine is cheaper.
Gary

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom