Just bought an S3. Someone tell me about it

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by Zachs, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Zachs

Zachs

Feb 25, 2006
    NC
    I've read so much for so long, but people who own one, tell me about it. I know it's slow, but how is the final product in comparison to Nikon jpgs. I will not be shooting RAW, so I want to be sure that I'll be happy.

I have 14 days of testing to get it back to KEH. If I like it as my wedding/formal/portrait camera, then it is going to replace my D200. Otherwise it is going back to KEH and the D200 will remain on the throne. I've never really been happy with the soft, super digital look of the D200 except for in daylight photos where there is tons of light and tons of edges.

In reality, I don't ever EVER pick up the D200 anymore. It just doesn't "Do it" for me unless I need it, even then I rarely use it. I used my D1H more on my last set of formals until its batteries died, then I picked up the D2H.

I'm not thrilled about the AA's, but I have about 24 reliable,powerful rechargeable batteries, so I'm not too worried.

How is the DR compared to the D200. I know it isn't the DR of the S5, or is it also 400% How is the AWB. There is only so much testing I can do when I work 6 days a week.

My next wedding is on the 18th, so I have a good amount of time.

2. I think you will find the skin colors outstanding coming from this camera. In side by side tests with several different brands the Fuji came out on top.

3. Zach

The way to use this cam (for HDR images) is to "push" the exposure so that the R pixels are used.

If you haven't read Phils review that's a decent place to start:
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilms3pro/
    Overall, I think his review is balanced and comprehensive. This is a "specialty" cam and best suited for harsh-lite outdoor images.

I know others have gotten good jpgs out of this cam but I was a little underwhelmed with my jpgs. I used the RAW mode and got some excellent images from the cam.

Here's a good example of a harsh-lite image that the S3 just excelled at. Non of my Nikons could do this image without totally blowing the highlights.
    [​IMG]

Good luck with the cam................. post some pics asap so we can see what you're coming up with.
    JohnG

4. two slow

two slow

Apr 22, 2006
    Talladega, Al
    I've been kind of wanting one of these too. I figured with so many people dumping their nikon gear and should be able to get one at a good price.
    Let me know how well you like it.

5. Zachs, you oughta' love it in jpeg, and it's SHARP...colors blow my mind as well, and it's only slow if you try to do sports or children playing....

6. Zachs

Zachs

Feb 25, 2006
    NC
    Well, You can see what my sports cameras are, so you know I'm not worried :)

I really want to be able to treat it like film. I want to leave the monitor off, and just KNOW that it's going to come out how I want, or better. Film is just as slow as the slowest digital (minus the F5/6).

I'm really anxious and I should have opted for the faster delivery than ground!!!

7. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

I've owned the S2 since release and now use the S3 at a new job. It's color, especially fleshtone, is outstanding. I also find that I often need NO sharpening if I select std sharpening in camera. This was a revelation as I normally shoot raw and add sharpening using PKS but these files just don't need much.

Its not an iTTL camera, its the older dTTL. That means spotty TTL at best. Also means you can't use all the features of the SB 800 or SU-800 commander on it like with CLS enabled Nikon cameras. Manual and AA mode only. There are work arounds using line of sight IR with SB800s, even the pop up flash to trigger an SB800; but no iTTL. Doesn't bother me as I shoot strobes in manual mode anyway.

Its write speed is s-l-o-w if shooting raw, has a small buffer too.

Bottom line, great images but with a few groans!

8. Zachs

Zachs

Feb 25, 2006
    NC
    Scheduled Delivery: 08-August-2007

Thats pretty awesome considering I selected 7-10 day shipping...Although they are only one state over. :smile:

I'm used to the crappy flash work with the D1H, and I've found the SB-600 works the best (besides using an SB-80, which I've tried and really liked).

9. two slow

two slow

Apr 22, 2006
    Talladega, Al
    I'd have been real tempted to drive.

10. Zachs

Zachs

Feb 25, 2006
    NC
    lmao

11. Order at least 2 xd-H cards for the S3. The H's are the ONLY way to go with this camera. DON'T try to use the cam with M's ............... you will be very dissapointed with the write speed.

Fry's sells the the 1 GB H's for around $30. Or, at least they used to....... ???

Regards
    JohnG

12. Zachs

Zachs

Feb 25, 2006
    NC
    How is this camera with CF cards? I read that its half as fast as the xD cards :(
    I despise those cards soooo much.

13. CF cards in the S3 are mindbendingly slow if you want to chimp. :frown:

Chimping with the H's is "OK"...................... NOT fast mind you, but OK for normal portrait use.

Are you saying you don't like xd's? :confused:

JohnG

14. Zachs

Zachs

Feb 25, 2006
    NC
    With a passion. With the exception of Sony Duos, xD cards are the worst design ever. Some things don't need to be that small IMHO.
    I work a photo lab and have to handle memory cards from customers all day long. Those things are soo damn easy to lose! lol

15. Zachs

Zachs

Feb 25, 2006
    NC
    meh, I don't like it.
    I don't care about the speed, but the handling sucks, the VF REALLY REALLY sucks, the Top LCD sucks, and the back top LCD is worthless as can be.

The image quality isn't anything spectacular imho. I screwed up a great shot b/c I misread the exposure speed in the VF, and that never happens...ever. I even interviewed the guy afterwards with plans to run that photo front page, but instead of shooting at 1/200th, I shot it at 1/20th. Sucks, but thats my fault. I should have brought my D1H.

I do like a few things though. It is quiet, it's small, it's almost a Nikon. I don't notice anything special about the DR, especially not a 400% increase in DR. Its colors are quite vibrant and accurate, but they aren't exactly what I like. I'll post some examples in a bit.

16. Zachs

Zachs

Feb 25, 2006
    NC
    this is my blurry pic :(
    No highlight reduction in PS
    [​IMG]

200% highlight reduction in PS
    [​IMG]

Some ants...pop up flash doesn't quite clear the 35-70
    [​IMG]
    A yellow xterra...just wanted to see how well the colors pop...and they do.
    [​IMG]
    opposite side...
    [​IMG]
    The ultimate shadow/highlight. It did pretty well. I added a small amount of shadow recovery
    [​IMG]
    A texas woman I ran into...her name is Joy and she doesn't like the heat in NC...too humid.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2007
  17. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Shooting Jpeg? Try setting color and tone to Org. A little less saturated and a bit more natural looking ala D2x and Canon IMHO. The best image quality out of a Fuji is to shoot raw and only use the Fuji converter. This camera produces excellent quality imagery if you take the time to learn it, as would be expected with any new camera.