just bought D300 & 17-55mm. Ex Canon Man

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by paulg1979, Aug 30, 2008.

1. paulg1979

paulg1979

Aug 13, 2008
    Kent - UK
    hi all,

Just bought this combo. Nearly bought the 16-85 but love the constant 2.8. Hope I made the right choice. Sold my 40D and 24-105 a few months ago and missed DSLR but thought I'd try the Nikonian route. So many settings and so much to read. 40D seemed pretty straight forward compared to the D300 but looking forward to learning how to use it.

2. Welcome to the forum. The D300 is an awesome camera for sure. You will be pleased. Just don't make the mistake of viewing the Lens Lust forum...

3. JDann24

JDann24

Dec 15, 2007
    Garland, Texas
    Congrats on the new combo, you made the right choice. The 17-55 is a very fine lens... one of my favorites.

4. lovemy8514

lovemy8514 Guest

Well, I'm new to this forum and the D300 too, but I'll say "Welcome!" anyway.

Now the dark side will never let you go........ :smile:

5. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    Excellent choice. In the last month I have found that the 17-55 2.8 and the 85 1.4 are pretty much the only lenses on my camera and I love them both!

6. This is my GO TO combo = D300 + 17-55 f/2.8

I never leave home without it. Enjoy!!

7. lr0868

lr0868

May 25, 2008
    henderson, nv
    I made the same switch, you will be VERY happy with the D300

8. paulg1979

paulg1979

Aug 13, 2008
    Kent - UK
    Excellent. I feel like i've made the right choice now. I must say the quality of the D300 seems to superior to the 40D

9. Shiny

Shiny

May 1, 2006
    London, England
    Its a great combination for general usage, a lot to learn with the camera menus etc. but well worth the effort. Welcome to the Cafe

10. welcome..that's my walkabout kit, it's always stored on my D300.

11. lr0868

lr0868

May 25, 2008
    henderson, nv

I found it ergonomically easier to use and the 40D pictures were too soft without alot of PP, whereas the D300 is much shaper in that regard..and the colors it produces are fantastic

12. paulg1979

paulg1979

Aug 13, 2008
    Kent - UK
    Having a play around in Aperture Priority. Does this look soft or is it me. I'm sure I have a lot to learn with the camera.

DSC_0070.

13. cali-kid

cali-kid

May 26, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    I have the same combo; you will not be disappointed . :biggrin:

14. congratulations on your choices
    well done

that image above might be a bit soft
    though, at 1/160s f/5.6 ISO250 55mm
    it ought NOT be
    i think that some USM in post-processing would sharpen it right up

what post-processing software do you use, by the way?

15. Paul,

Welcome to the Cafe, and you made 2 good calls. The 17-55 lives on my d300 a lot of the time. They go together beautifully. Post pics!

16. I'll be honest Paul, When I got my 17-55 a year ago, I was disappointed too. Had a few issues like yours as well. Doubt crept in. I regretted the purchase. Now, after months of use, Its with me all the time. Its fantastic and I would not part with it PERIOD!

Great camera ... great lens!

17. paulg1979

paulg1979

Aug 13, 2008
    Kent - UK
    I just can't seem to get a sharp image. Maybe I just need to get used to it. My 40d seemed easier to get a sharp image with a 24-105mm. Could my lens be faulty or shall I give it a chance? I did just spend £1770 on these. Hope I end up loving this combo as it is such a well respected combo.

18. rampal

rampal

May 4, 2008
    @Newbury, UK
    Have you already tried to fine tune your lens to the camera? It made a lot of difference in my case, like night and day....

Good luck and great combo!

19. paulg1979

paulg1979

Aug 13, 2008
    Kent - UK
    Hi all,

Just an update on the lens. Took it back to Jessops and they confirmed it was faulty and replaced it and wow what a difference. I love it. Is it still worth fine tuning the lens with the camera. Where is the option in the camera to do this?

20. Congrats on the perfect combo!

You won't regret the switch as long as you like the new ergonomics. IQ is essentially the same though I do prefer Nikon color and overall 'look'. The camera itself stands above the canon with flexibility and potential. If you shoot raw, work with the Nikon software to figure out what images settings suit you and set them the same in cam. Don't worry about the extensive menus. The majority aren't make or break for images. Make sure you check out CLS flash technology. Canon really can't compete there IMO.
    UPDATE
    Sorry still getting used to this forum style (didn't see the other pages). If you are now getting sharp results STAY AWAY FROM FINE TUNE!!! For the most part it only works on primes as it can affect the focus negatively at certain lengths on zooms and even keep the lens from properly focusing at infinity.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.