Just call her Sparkles!

Discussion in 'People' started by sommer, Jun 11, 2007.

1. This picture cracks me up...from her sparkly top to her shiny braces to the glint in her eye, she's all sparkles. This was a quickie before formal group photos, but I'm having a problem with her pants. To my eye, they're a deep black, just as black as her tap shoes and the straps on her top, but in the photo they're...red?! I can fix this, can't I? I feel like I should know how, but I haven't a clue. I'm using NC4 and CS2. I had her strike her ending pose for this shot...turned out not to be the most photogenic way of sitting, but now I'll always remember how she ended that number :wink:!

[​IMG]

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Just darling
    Beautiful gal
    So bright and cheery

3. tech1961

tech1961

Jan 28, 2007
    Houston Tx.
    I like it the way it is actually. That type of fabric will give off different colors depending upon the lighting. Very nice picture Sommer

4. I'm really a PS dummy Sommer, but you could try a curves adjustment with the middle eye dropper - experiment with finding a mid grey tone, perhaps on the wall or the bench - I've had some quite good results with colour dorrection using this.

5. Informal shots are great. This is very cute. I have the same problem with my D70 and D70S, achieving true black at times. White balance is no help.
    Very nice!!

6. Sommer, did you shoot RAW or JPG? If you have the original file, e-mail it to me and I can give it a shot...

7. Sommer,
    as former D70 owner I know the problem.

The reason:
    The low pass filter in front of the sensor of the D70(s) blocks less infrared light than other Nikon DSLRs. Besides visible light, CCDs are to some extent also sensible to infrared and UV light (see IR pictures) and to capture only the visible light, the low pass filter in front of the sensor blocks most of the unwanted wave lengths. For reasons I don't know that IR blocking capability of the D70's internal filter is less strong.

You can see the effect mostly on black fabric, I don't know exactly why.

The solution:
    You can "fix" this by using a filter in front of your lens that blocks the unwanted UV and IR light. There's a filter series of B+W that does this very well (486). You can see the difference here:

86603995-O.

This is my backpack in the sun. It is usually pitch black but wasn't with my D70. With the B+W 486 filter, it is (yay!), also the foiliage improves.

The nice thing about that filter is that the attenuation of visible light is very low, so there's hardly a difference in exposure.

Unfortunately, that filter has a drawback. On wide angle settings, when the light from the corners of the scene enter the lens in a low angle, the filter tends to give a slight green/cyan cast, as can be seen here:

84659719-O.

Look at the lower right corner.
    This is happens only for wide angles and it depends on you how much that effect may bother you. So, you have the choice. :smile:

For your 70-200 it should work very well on all focal lengths, for your 28-70mm it depends. B+W confirmed that drawback to me and told me that the effect should vanish above 28mm, but the above picture was taken with my old 28-200 and I noticed it, so I would think you would be able to see it at 28mm on your 28-70 lens.

For that "black fabric not being black" on a D70 I can highly recommend that filter, also for foiliage in bright sun. If that wide angle effect haven't been there, those filters were glued to my lenses.

Maybe you find a way to test one, that would be the best.

Edit: Forgot to say that I like that picture nevertheless. Beautiful girl and great smile.

8. Sommer, this is one of the best shots of Melissa I've seen. She has such an engaging smile!

Does this look right?
    original.

I did this in Photoshop by creating a hue/saturation adjustment layer and setting master saturation to -100 and lightness to -22. The trick is that you have to create a layer mask for the adjustment layer so the desaturation is applied only to the pants. Let me know if you need help with creating the layer mask.

9. ponykilr

ponykilr

May 23, 2007
    usa
    Daniel is correct. The D70 can make black look purple at times. I did not know about the filter however. I will be getting one on the way tonight. I usually correct it in PS, but anything I can do to have less editing is good. Thanks for the tip Daniel!:smile:

I just havent seen the right camera to make me give up my 70 yet. Perhaps the d300 will do it.

10. As a former D70 and D2H owner, I'm also aware of the hot mirror filter/ IR issue. If you care to explore the issue further, here are a few discussions and examples.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=11371638

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=8428385

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=17949567

And one discussion in The Cafe itself: https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?p=926157#post926157

I ended up getting a couple of B+W 486/IR Cut hot mirror filters, but boy are they pricey in the larger sizes!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  11. Thanks, Gale! I love her big smile there. It's so hard to get a natural look from her these days!

Thanks, Jimmy! I actually like it the way it is, too, and I was content to leave it that way because my eye goes right to her huge smile, forgetting all about the pants, lol! But then I saw Dave's edit, and now I must fix it...sigh!

Ah, now that is worth a try, Mike. I was trying to use the black dropper in Capture, but I probably wasn't doing it right, because I got them a little bit blacker but still with a red cast. Nobody is a bigger PS/NC dummy than I, I tell you. It's my least favorite part of photography!

Thanks, Jim. It's good to know it's not just me. I've had trouble photographing black camera bags before, but I've always caught it during the shoot and been able to adjust. This time I didn't realize until long after she'd changed out of costume that the black was so off on the pants. And yet totally right on the shoes and top!

John, I always shoot RAW, figuring that if I completely blow the perfect shot, I'll have a chance at saving it...or having someone help me save it :wink:. I'll try sending you the orig in a bit.

Daniel, thank you...for the nice comments and the education! I've had the same trouble photographing a lowepro bag that I was selling, with it coming out gray rather than black. What really surprises me is the difference in the foliage in your examples, because I've had issues with grass looking too yellow in my photos, too. I'm definitely going to look into that filter, though at $200, I'm going to try really hard to find one to try out before buying, lol! I would have a huge problem with a green cast at the wide end, and since my 28-70 is the lens that's on my camera most of the time, that's a concern. Thank you so very much for the information and examples!!

Thank you, Dave! I really like the shot, too. The black looks so much better in your edit. I'm going to have to learn to use layers...I've been saying that for far too long and doing nothing about it! Masks...ugh, no clue. When I sit down to work on this (probably next week), I'll pm you for the details :biggrin:! Thanks for your offer of help and for the edit. Now I know it can be done!

I'm at the same point with my D70...I'm very happy with it and nothing yet has made me want to switch.

Glenn, thanks for those links. I'm really glad I asked the question, because I've learned a great deal as a result! The 1st and 3rd dpr links didn't work for me (the 1st is missing the photos now), but the 2nd was great. I read all the way through that one a couple of times. The 486 in the 77mm size is $200--ack!...though it is cheaper than a new camera body...always trying to see the positive, I am, lol!