Just curious; Large Format

Just wondered if any large format shooters were here, and if so, do any of you use X-Ray film?? Met a most interesting man this week who does use said film.

4x5 Zone 6, 90 110, 135, 180 210, 300 mm lenses.

No x ray film. Color in past, now tri x.

Color has become a pain increasingly since around 1980. Chems and paper harder and harder to get. Less and less choice.

I long as I can mix D76, I will keep it up.

What does it cost to shoot a 4 x 5 , and I can bet you triple check you settings, sometimes In think I need to pretend I am shooting with film. I can remember going on a 7/10 vacation, with only 10 to 20 rolls of film for my 35 and MF.
The X-Ray shots are interesting, but so far they do not excite me. I need to look for some more examples.

Jim's a friend of mine. Not only does he use x-ray film but he prints using the old carbon transfer technique (in fact he just finished giving a workshop on it this week-end) and he builds his own view cameras. Here's a shot i did of him framed in the frame of a camera he was building.

8682768466_9c1cec79b1_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Here's a link to his website. Also, if you're on Facebook you could friend him and have a chat with him. He's a great guy and loves to discuss his methods and materials! http://www.carbonartphotography.com/bio.html

Thanks all for the links, this B&W technique is very interesting, very specalised, does not look like anything you jump into on a whim.

If anyone is on the Large Format Forum, invite UNCLE JIM , to come visit. He is the gentleman I met in Atlanta Ga. an all to brief encounter, our conversation gathered in a young lady who used to do a lot of photography, I gave him the Café address. I am impressed by some these pics, did not thuinl X-ray would give such a range of B&W

What does it cost to shoot a 4 x 5 , and I can bet you triple check you settings, sometimes In think I need to pretend I am shooting with film. I can remember going on a 7/10 vacation, with only 10 to 20 rolls of film for my 35 and MF.
The X-Ray shots are interesting, but so far they do not excite me. I need to look for some more examples.

In Japan for Velvia 50 a 4x5 transparency comes to about $10 per (film and developing at a pro lab), so, yes, I pretty much triple check everything.

I've started using x-ray film in my 5x7. I can buy a 100 sheet box of x-ray film for about $28. A 50 sheet box of 5x7 Kodak TXP 320 will cost about $155. I guess I can put up with the x-ray stuff at this price. :smile:

I have not used my Tachihara 4x5 in a long time. Velvia 50 is about $130 for a 20-pack and I think might be discontinued. Ilford varies by type of course. 125 ISO FP4 is about $40 for a 25-pack

Wow, no wonder folks use x-ray film. If anyone see Uncle Jim on the LFF telling I said hi, met him in Atlanta, I can not contact him through the LFF, guess I have to post a bit, and they are out of my league, all I could do ask questions. It has been interesting learning about all this.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom