1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Just entered the D300 Club - and I'm scared.

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by chrismead, Jul 17, 2008.

1. I made the mistake of popping into my local camera shop on the way to buy an Apple iMac. I picked up the D300 (you have to make sure that you are making the right decision before parting with the cash), the guy put in a battery and a lens and I was lost. My wife assures me that it was obvious that I was going to follow the guy to the till to pay within seconds.

I note from a cursory glance that there are one or two differences between the D80 and the D300 so really looking forward to a nice day and the excuse to really put it through it's paces. Think I'll need a guide!

I am about to start saving for an iMac.... :rolleyes: 

2. avyoung

avyoung

Dec 17, 2007
    Canada
    Hi Chris!

Congrats on the camera!
    The tip thread sticky above is really useful as well as the AF-on sticky.
    There is alot to learn on this camera! It took me a couple of weeks to get enough experience to know what to do with all the settings! Have fun with it!:biggrin:

3. Congrats on the new toy.

4. tintingkc

tintingkc Guest

Great camera! I have put 8000 clicks on mine in 4 months and have yet to be disappointed.

5. Congratulations Chris!

I got mine yesterday. I've only taken ten shots with it so far.

I have been busy reading the instruction manual. Once done with that I'll visit the sticky's posted above.

MikeT

6. Zee71

Zee71

Apr 1, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Congrats!!! I think you'll enjoy it.

7. mansunz

mansunz Guest

be scare, very scare. you wife will be upset that you arenot spending enought time with her.

8. Congratulations Chris on getting your D300...
    It's all been said how your gonna love this camera...
    But you will... LOL... :eek: ))

Keep the D80 as it's a great backup or just for those times
    when you need a light weight setup to take with you... I did....

9. A good camera is mans best friend. It will follow you where you wish it to go. It is there day and night. It is always ready to do your work. It brings you joy.

An I-mac, or any computer, just sits there!

You made the right choice!

10. Jeromy

Jeromy

Mar 19, 2008
    Utah
    I have saved for an Imac several times. Last time I got close it turned into a 300 f/4 and a 1.4 TC:biggrin: So now I am saving again and in the mean time I just bought a big monitor & key board to hook to my macbook, portable Imac lol.

You will love the D300! keep the d80 for a small take anywere kit/backup.

11. Thanks for the advice - when I work out most of the advice I think it's going to be useful!

Chris

12. The next next thing to save for is definately the iMac - but now that you mention the 300f/4 and TC.....!!!

I have not had too much time to use the new camera yet apart from finding out that continious high is fast and noise levels are fantastic. I think that I may need to have a glance at the manual to get very much further.

Best regards.

13. cali-kid

cali-kid

May 26, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    I jumped from the D80 to the D300; you'll love the camera

14. Chris,

Happy shooting with your new great camera. I went from D80s, which i truly like to D300s which I truly like. When the going gets tough, the D300 has far more flexibility, but far more controls also. I prefer the D300 viewfinder, and its 10 pin connector over the D80. I also cherish the mirror lock-up function of the D300. Also, low light shooting is a job for the D300.

If you wish to save yourself potential heartache, get a low capacity, high quality CF card, program your custom memory bank settings and dowload these to the card for one-step, complete restoration. Finally, try Thom Hogan's e-book. Yes, it is massive, but so is the job you can do with the D300.

Congratulations,
    Tom

15. A d300 and and imac. Excellent. Just be advised that imacs (some) are having a strange prob that Apple has yet to pinpoint. Thing shuts down for no reason as if the power plug got yanked from the wall. Has been going on since they came out last year and I hear it still is with units being shipped.

16. Have not got the iMac yet - but thanks for the warning.

Chris

17. you will love the D300
    congratulations

so...... WILL you STILL get the iMac?

and... which one, IF you do?

18. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    Welcome to the D300 club!

You're gonna love it!

19. Thinking of renegotiating my pocket money to allow for the Mac! I find that a wifes goodwill last only so far, so will possibly wait a little while before pushing my luck. Those 24" ones are nice and shiny though.

Chris

20. Glideslope

Glideslope

Feb 8, 2006
    NY
    The 24" 2.8ghz is what you want. You don't want the 3ghz with the Nvidia card unless your into gaming in Windows under Boot Camp.

The Ati card is the ticket with core applications. ( Hint, Aperture 2.0.)

Get 4mb of RAM. My suggestion would be to order a 4g kit from Crucial or another RELIABLE vendor for $100 (I've used crucial for 15 years.)

Sell the (2) 1g sticks that come with the machine. Apple will rape you for the extra 2g if you order it with 4g. 4g makes a HUGE difference working with RAW. If your only going to shoot jpg with your D300 2g memory is fine.

I'm not aware of the "shutting off issue" the poster makes. There was such an issue with the G5 iMac prior to the conversion to Intel Chips due to overheating.

It's a wonderful machine and the 24" screen is gorgeous.

Feel free to PM me with any questions, as I am a Mac Evangelist.

After 30 days you will wonder how you ever got by with Windows/Vista. OSX is a fabulous OS.

Good Luck.

Mark. : )

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.