Just finished a good book about photography- the art

Just finished "Photographers on Photography" by Henri Carroll
Nothing about cameras, settings or computers.
Just thoughts about art, images, creativity.
It asks some questions that will really make you think- like "Whats the point of taking a nice picture?"
If you have the technical aspects of our hobby down pat, I would strongly recommend this as a worthwhile read. Best I have read in a while.
$15 on amazon, well worth it.
Gary

By the way, if you have any favorites- let us know.

Real Name
Don Roy
Last spring I took a regular for-credit college class to learn that side of this. I'm a lifelong engineer that needed to understand the art side of the camera. One thing I learned was that more hardware doesn't help, for which my wallet is very thankful(l).

Agree. While I think there's a minimum capability for the camera to have, to give good control over the photo-taking process, after that it's "the vision thing," which I've been concentrating on (also as an ex technical person). I haven't felt any need to upgrade from my now years-old D7100 and D750. If I can't take compelling photos with either of those, the fault lies elsewhere.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Last spring I took a regular for-credit college class to learn that side of this. I'm a lifelong engineer that needed to understand the art side of the camera. One thing I learned was that more hardware doesn't help, for which my wallet is very thankful(l).
I agree. I went through a stage I thought equipment would improve my photography. I bought a lot of stuff. I mean a lot. Took me years to understand why nothing changed. I could have saved a lot of money if I had been smarter earlier. Much of what I shoot still sucks, but at least it costs me less to do.
Gary

Real Name
Ken
By the way, if you have any favorites- let us know.
I have way too many favorites to list, but if you want to get out of the "technicals", one book that I recommend is The Zen of Seeing. I bought and read it years ago, and it helps get you to think out of the box.

--Ken

Real Name
Walter Rowe
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have just ordered Photographers on Photography. Thanks for the suggestion Gary (y)
Please, let us know what you think.
I have read several of duChemin's books. Writing style just wasn't for me- not sure why. His book- The Heart of Photography- was to be one of my beach books this summer- it just didn't click. It sits, partially unread, on a shelf.
I read a short article once that changed, and probably ruined, the way I read. It ran the math of reading books.
The argument ran something like: Lets be optimistic and say I read a book a week, heck make it 2 books a week. 100 books a year. Assume I started reading when I was 5 and continued that rate unchanged until I was 95. I would have read 9000 books in my lifetime. There are between 300,000 and 1,000,000 books published in the US alone each year. And that does not include all the wonderful books published in the past. We will not even delve into books in other languages.
It made me feel more responsible for picking out the "right" 9000 books. I only have 2500 books left to go.
Gary

Please, let us know what you think.
I have read several of duChemin's books. Writing style just wasn't for me- not sure why. His book- The Heart of Photography- was to be one of my beach books this summer- it just didn't click. It sits, partially unread, on a shelf.
I read a short article once that changed, and probably ruined, the way I read. It ran the math of reading books.
The argument ran something like: Lets be optimistic and say I read a book a week, heck make it 2 books a week. 100 books a year. Assume I started reading when I was 5 and continued that rate unchanged until I was 95. I would have read 9000 books in my lifetime. There are between 300,000 and 1,000,000 books published in the US alone each year. And that does not include all the wonderful books published in the past. We will not even delve into books in other languages.
It made me feel more responsible for picking out the "right" 9000 books. I only have 2500 books left to go.
Gary
It will take a week for the book to arrive and when I start reading I will see if it is the book for me or not. If I'm able to finish reading it, I will share my opinion Gary.

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
I will look it up as aesthetic books are hard to find.

The book that shaped my photography most was Andreas Feininger's "Principals of Composition in Photography". Still a great book in my opinion, which can be picked up second hand.

The other André Kertész's 50 years of photography. Looking at great photography is a good teacher too.

Real Name
Ken

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom