Just For Fun-D70 shots

Just for fun, I brought out my very first DSLR, NikonD70 and the original kit lens, 28-70 3.5+. I did do some cropping and tweaking in LR...but the shots really did not need much.

Food for thought, when we all yearn for the latest and greatest, what we have in our closets might just be good enough.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Excellent series!

One reason I'm still using a D7000, which was discontinued years ago, is that it meets all of my current needs. At the time I bought it, it's higher ISO values made it possible to photograph my niece and nephew (now also another nephew) in situations that weren't possible using my previous camera. If the time comes that a similar situation arises with my D7000, I'll upgrade to a more recent release. The likelihood that I'll have to replace it because it dies is more likely.

D

Deleted member 638

D70 was/is a capable camera. I had a D100. These cameras do not have the AF of current models. However, I have excellent A3+ prints from 6 Mpix files.

Image that, a dated paperweight that can still produce pleasing images! (y)

Nothing wrong with the D70 for many applications -- mine rides in my truck with me so I don't miss unexpected opportunities.
Totally agree, Bob.....I was speaking in terms of how we all too often don't recognize earlier models for their capabilities to produce great images.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Let me know if you find a camera that rakes leaves!!!

My D70 usually sits in the cabinet, unused, along with my original first issue iPhone. Both still work! But there were good reasons to upgrade....noise on the camera, iPhone just an iPod now. But sometimes it is fun to bring them back out. My only Nikon now is the D7100 and it is likely the last. I keep it because of the fine lenses I have to go with it. I have a new iPhone8Plus and I am awed at the photos it takes....especially portrait. And I love my lightweight Olympus-D. Times they are a-changin, and I just keep getting older. Better than the alternative.

It's fun....My first DSLR was an old Nikon D40 that has produced images I really liked. Would I want to go back to that camera now?
I don't really think so.
On the other hand, some month ago, a relative of mine, who is a professional photographer brought a D90 to a family party. Since her kids were running around and there were other people than our (large) family at the restaurant as well she didn't want to bring her D800.
At some point I took some photos and was extremely surprised how well that camera did. Focus was good enough and the coverage was better than on my D610 (Less points but closer to the edge of the frame). Picture quality was more than good enough. in other situations I find the newer camera the tool I absolutely need. A while back I really had to pull up exposure of a dark foreground against a sunset in post and immediately knew that this wouldn't have been remotely possible with the D40 or the D90!

That camera, the D70, was the final nail that finished off film, for me.

We get the Wildlife Photographer of the Year exhibition here, every year. I remember testing myself when looking at the beautiful prints, to see if I could tell the difference between those taken with film (mostly Fuji slide films), or whether taken with Digital.

One particular year there were some stunning pictures, and I looked - D70 appeared again and again as the camera that had been used. Personally slide film had its day when the D70 was beating them in prestigious competitions like this.

Real Name
Barry
I still love my D70, as it is now converted to IR.

Real Name
(Mike) Michael Skerritt.
I think that the D70 and then the slightly improved D70s killed off film for me also
I am only sorry that I haven't kept the D70s I may have converted it to IR like so many others have. I still have the D200 and it's grip as I like it for portraits. I also have the D300+ grip also. I do take them out shooting regularly as I lover the way the D200 captures skin tones and then there's the simplicity of files.
Mike

Last edited:
Real Name
Woody Green
I had two D70 bodies for a long time, and they served me well. I finally sold one and gave the other to a charity thrift shop. I hope somone is still using those cameras!

I just picked up a "Like New -" D70S from KEH to include in my collection of "first/significant" cameras I've owned. The D70S was the first digital camera I had and some of my favorite photos were taken with it. I'd traded it in when I got my D7000 and now several cameras later have a D750 and D810 (and way too many lenses). This camera appears new and has a shutter count of 17 frames. I'm looking forward to using it! I love the simple menus!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom