Just for fun...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gho, May 20, 2005.

1. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    I was asked about which camera is good and stuff (which I get on a daily basis), and one person was asking about 8mp something or another so complied a list of images taken with various different cameras.

I figured it would be interesting to y'all to see if you can guess which images were made with which camera. No fair cheating - I'll post the answers after a day or so to give people a chance to guess. I'll also let you know if you're right or wrong on the way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6_2_02.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. I can not tell, unless i cheat and use opanda, which i did. But the main question here is, Do you own all of these cameras?

3. So wait, do you want us to try to guess the mp or the brand of camera or the type of camera too? It really doesn't matter anyway. I cannot tell.....

4. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Cheater! You could have tried to make it a little easier by guessing which ones were done with Nikon cameras first ;)

And, yeah, actually it's about half of the cameras I own (a couple are not actually mine, per se - I borrowed them from my 3 year old daughter, as they are hers).

Here's one from my daughter's old camera that she shot (not my photo) - it's not in the bunch above - try and guess which camera was used for this one (at least try to guess the manufacturer ;)):

5. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I'm tempted to cheat too, but I'll guess first:

Nikon dSLR at moderately high iso:
    [​IMG]

High rez dSLR:
    [​IMG]

High rez digicam:
    6_2_02.

High rez digicam:
    [​IMG]

Low rez digicam:
    [​IMG]

DSLR with a nice lens:
    [​IMG]

High rez digicam:
    [​IMG]

DSLR:
    [​IMG]

DSLR

6. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Kudos for you Chris for resisting the temptation and making it fun ;)

#1: Yes - not high ISO though - that's not noise, those are particles in the water column. I left them in this photo for that "deep sea effect"

#2: Yes - methinks you know what camera now.

#3: Yes

#4: Nope

#5: Yup

#6: LOL... Yup

#7: Well, partly correct

#8: Nope, though it does look like it, huh? - Someone commented that digicams can't compare with DSLRs, and I posted that and, of course, knowing that it came from a digicam, they commented that it looked "digicamish." Later they posted pics from their DSLR that looked to me a bit "digicamish." Oh well.

#9: Nope, the result might actually surprise you.

#10 (addendum): Care to guess?

Wow, I just realized that there are 10 different cameras listed, I didn't know I had that many.

7. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    No more guesses?

8. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

:oops: I cheated and used Opanda....but before I even looked at them I was convinced the D70 took the best shot of all (LOL) :roll:

9. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Cheater ;) Yeah, I'm finding people don't usually restrain themselves and cheat anyways. I guess I should have erased the EXIF info.

Methinks most of the viewers simply look at the EXIF and not make any comments.

Oh well...

That D70 shot is actually my favorite out of the entire bunch.

10. phranc

phranc

Apr 30, 2005
    Central Texas
    No way for me to know without cheating. I have a friend with a reef tank and I will be taking some shots there soon. Any tips? Your shots are wonderful. phranc

11. The were all taken with pinhole cameras, the only difference was the material used for the screen. :roll: :roll: The person behind the camera was the master and it was just amazing what you got out of these cameras. :D :lol: :oops:

12. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Well, that's really not the object to "know" or even be correct - just a little fun thing to see if one can assess the type (digicam or DSLR) or manufacturer (Nikon or other) of a digital camera from web images taken by the same photographer.

I think Chris' contribution is the most interesting.

As for tips on taking reef shots, check out the following link:
    www.ximinasphotography.com/lessons

13. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Now there's an interesting concept - a digital pinhole camera. Maybe I should give that a try.

14. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Well I have not cheated. I also don't have a clue.

But I do know the images are wonderful :>))))))

15. Is the original poster going to tell us which camera took which photo? I can't guess and am pretty interested.

16. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Yes I will, I'd like to have a couple more wild random guesses before posting the results though.

How about guessing which ones came from Nikon cameras? Hint: there's 4

17. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Nobody interested in playing?

Oh well, at least I thought it would be fun :(

Here's the answer:
    #1: Nikon D100 (6mp) - 28-85mm in macro mode
    #2: Kodak SLR/n (14mp) - 24-120mm VR
    #3: Sony DSC-T1 (5mp) - Super macro mode
    #4: Nikon D70 (6mp) - 18-70mm "Kit" lense
    #5: Kodak CX6200 (2mp) - no macro mode
    #6: Nikon D2h (4mp) - 60mm macro
    #7: Sony DSC-P5 (3.2mp) - macro mode
    #8: Sony DSC-F707 (5mp) - macro mode
    #9: Canon SD20 (5mp) - macro mode
    #10: Nikon Coolpix 3200 (2 mp) normal mode

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Please say something?

18. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    3, 6 and 8 are my faves. I'm surprised that #6 was the 60mm Nikkor - I would have guessed one of the bokeh kings, like the 45, 85 or 70-200.

As for 8 ... huh. Prior to getting a dSLR, I thought the 707 might be the camera I wanted, now I wonder again. Too bad it's so bulky, cause I've been feeling the need for a stealth camera.

19. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Wonderfull images as always Gho. Love your reef tank.

Thanks for posting

Regard

20. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Well, that's because in that photo there's no spectacular highlights. The 60mm does fine for bokeh when in that situation, but chokes a little when there are point light sources.

It's one of the best digicams I've seen, and still compares very favorably to today's digicams. It's fast, clear and sharp - I think it has to a lot to do with that "bulky" lense.

Even then, it's not anywhere near as bulky as a DSLR, the low profile makes it easy to carry around in a diaper bag (or a backpack). It also has awsome IR capabilities, as you can flip the IR cut filter out of the optical path.

As far as image quality goes, IMHO, it produces stunning results that rival DSLR quality.

You can get one today at a fraction of the price I paid for it (I actually paid more for my F707 than I did for my D70 kit). You should really consider picking one up.

Yes, well, thanks... But, what do you think of the differences in images produced by the different digial cameras?

BTW, they're not all my reef tank.