Just found this board.....

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by Doug Barber, Aug 24, 2005.

1. So now with (luck) you people will help me figure out how to use these darn photo-editing programs that you all are talking about.
    Boy this will be fun....
    So now the first thing I want to know how to do it one of these.... I (think) they call it a photo in a photo...

Next it would be cool to take a simple photo and tell a little story with it...

Then again, it would be good to figure out how to take a simple photo and make it into something that might look a (little) more dynamic... sort of like this....

Mind you.... Maybe it would be good to just take a simple photo and help it along from a presentation standpoint....

So as you can see I'm here to learn all kinds of stuff so lets get at it.....

2. Seriously Doug, I would love to know how you do these...Very cool!

3. Well i'm not sure if I can help you as much as you can help me....
    But just ask what you are into learning and i'll give it a go.... But remember i'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer.... so take it easy on this old fart....lol

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Doug

Oh Father of PS lolol..

Great job as uual. Remember I met you on the retouching and NTF forums..

Sorry to blow your cover.

Thanks for sharing. Well be great for you to help us all.

5. TheKO

TheKO

May 3, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    I'll Bite

What was the secret to number 3? It has got a great quality to it.

Some info/hints/instructions?

6. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    My problem with these shots?

Doug, your work is without equal. My hat's off to you sir!
    My problem is that I'll never, in my entire life, be able to do anything remotely this advanced in PS. I just don't have the patience, and or attention span. Whenever there are a lot of steps involved in PS, I get lost, frustrated, and always give up, usually never to try it again. I fear I'm doomed to be a Curves, Levels, Crop, Resize, and Sharpening kind'a guy.
    I've been trying to get a handle on this Layer Masking thing for a while now, having seen it's powerful potential. Been watching a vid over and over, but I can't seem to translate it to whatever I'm trying to do. Maybe I'm watching the wrong video? :confused: Maybe I have ADD. :redface:

7. Doug the first one is way cool love to hear your thoughts and step through it, I have a few shots I know this would work perfect with

8. Darn Gale and I'm sure I was doing soooooo good....lol

9. Number three has had (cool to warm) masks run into it...
    What this means is I create a layer from the original that I adjust the color to give me a warm feel. This can also be done by adding a photo filter in PS
    I then do the same thing with a second copy but add a COOL color of filter.
    At this point I have my original layer and two copies (1) with warm and (1) with cool colors or filter applied.
    Now apply a mask to both of the copies you created and run the gradient tool over the mask to allow sections of the lower level to show through. This will allow you to (mix or blend) the colors from the warm layer and cool layer along with the original layer to create this type of look.
    Remember you can change the layers positions in your layer palette if you want to reverse your look.
    Have fun

10. Steve:
    I'm not sure where you are with trying to figure out layers but you are right they are probably the #1 tool in PS...
    Tell me what you are having a problem with and I'll give a go to trying to walk you thought it.

11. Hey Doug, you found the image of Joe's daughter that I was talking about when last we corresponded. All of your images are great and an inspiration to us mere mortals.

12. PART #1

Well Mike grab a coffee and here we go.....

It is hoped that this document will allow you to start to think a little out of the box when it comes to images and the use of PhotoShop.
    Before I begin I would like to thank Mr. Dave Collignon for lending me this image to use during this tutorial.

The first thing we want to do is duplicate out background copy so we are not working on the original. So to do this drag your background layer into the duplicate icon at the bottom of the layer palette. This is the icon right next to the trashcan.
    Now with the background copy highlighted we want to begin to work on the image. First we are going to get the snowboarder off the main layer and on a layer by himself. You can do this using many different tools. But I will simply use the lasso tool and then copy and paste him into a new layer.

So now that he is got the marching ants running around him I can copy and paste him into a new layer.

Now turn off the layer that has the boarder and lets take a crack at fixing the master layer. We want to use the clone tool and clone the boarder out of the frame. And clone in any tree parts that might be needed.

So now we should have a creation that will have a layer holding our original image and then a copy of that image without the boarder in it. And finally the boarder on the top layer.

So now lets duplicate our master copy so we have two copies. We will use one as our background and one as the B&W image that the boarder will “Break Free” from. To do this simply drag the master layer to the icon next to the Trashcan. Or go to Layer>duplicate Layer.

We want to name this layer “Master_B&W and now convert it to B&W. To do this we will simply go to Image>adjust>channel mixer. The setting I used was +38, +68, -06 but they are quit arbitrary. The important thing is to try and make them total (100).

Everybody with me so far….

On the B&W layer that we just created we now want to create the illusion of “Breaking Out”. To do this we are going to use a process that will allow us to break the surface of the B&W image.
    First lets duplicate the image we have to this point and then trash all the layer except the B&W layer. We want to do this so we can work on a copy and not effect the main project. So duplicate your project. Ten close the original. We will not need to awhile and will work with the copy.
    Now delete all the different layers except the B&W master.

First thing we want to do it to begin to make our break curls. To do this use your polygon tool and make a triangle like you see here.

While you still have your running mice in your triangle hit your delete key. This will allow you to cut a triangular hole in your image. Next choose Select> Modify>Expand. Enter (1) for the expand value and hit okay. Now you want to use your transform tool and move your selection so it looks like this.

If you have gotten this far… you should pat yourself on the back and go tell your family how good you are as this stuff is not easy…

Next we are going to begin to begin to manufacturer our image break to make it look real. So first we want to take our selection and begin to use Photoshop’s powerful “path” feature”
    Open the Paths palette located in your layer/channel/path palette. If you don’t see it choose window, show paths.
    Click the small black arrow in the upper-right corner next to the path tab.
    From the menu that appears, choose “Make work Path”. Leave the default setting and click OK.
    You should now have a “Path” instead of a selection and your marching ants. You can tell if you do by having a solid line instead of the ants.

Select the “Path Selection Tool (it’s in the flyout menu under the pen tool and looks like a small (white) arrow pointer.
    Click somewhere on the path. This will show you where the anchor points and direction lines are.

Here is where things get a little tricky… but not to bad.
    Click-and-drag the bottom direction line toward the inside of the triangle formed by the path. This will curve the line as we see in the next image.

Click the small black arrow to the right of the path tab again and choose “Make Selection”.
    Set the feather Radius to (0) and set the anti-alias option to (on). Then click OK…
    You (should) now have something that looks like this… With a selection made and your nice rounded curve highlighted with marching ants.

Again… What can I say…? You are good.

Go On to PART #2

13. PART #2

But if you don’t have something that looks like the image above… you are in DEEP TROUBLE and now would be a good time to go have a BEER and think about starting over…. Or possibly just taking a DEEP breath and working yourself backwards until you figure out were you went wrong.

At this point we want to apply a color gradient to out breakout. So to do this we want to use the Gradient tool to apply some color into our selection. The first thing you will want to do it choose the (2) colors you want to use. In this case because my image is in B&W I will choose a foreground color of light grey and a background color of dark grey. I’m doing this because we want the image to look like it has been ripped as the boarder jumps through it.
    The following screenshot identifies the three areas you need to set-up before you apply your gradient. After you apply the gradient you can undo it if you don’t like it. Then just keep trying till you have it looking the way you want.
    In this case I think this will work well for the image I’m creating…

At this point in the process we have now completed the (first) rip in our image. At this point you copy your rip and put it on a second layer. This will allow you manipulate if as you continue with the project.
    Once you have the rip pasted into a new layer you can get really creative and duplicate the making of the rip over again until you have as many rip’s as one needs for the project. But for this tutorial we will simply do the one rip and then duplicate it and transform it to give us what we want.

So now we want to re-open our original image and begin to work with it again. You will now have (2) different images open. One that has the Rip’s you made and your original.
    Simply (drag) the rip’s you created from the rip image into your original. Every time you do this PS will create a new layer for each rip.

Now lets begin to position the different rips so they look right…
    But before we do this lets duplicate the B&W layer of your image and place it in the layer stack right under the (4) rip layers you dragged in. Then let’s duplicate each of the (4) rip layers so we end up with both a copy of the B&W layer and copies of the (4) rip layers. Next create a “New Layer Set” that will help you keep all these layer in some type of reasonable order. Try to create a layer palette that looks like this…

Next we want to move the (4) rip layers into a position that will form our final look. So take each rip layer and use your “Transform Tool” to manipulate them until you have them in a position that look reasonable. Don’t worry about getting it completely right, as you will have the ability to modify it later. But you do want to get it as close as you can.
    Once you have this complete we want to highlight the B&W master layer and cut a hole in it the same shape as the inside of our rip.
    For this I use my polygon tool and simply went around the inner edge of the rips and then hit delete.

Before we go any further lets (unclick) all the layers except the (4) rip layers. Then do a “Merge Visible” on these (4) layer. This will give you a single layer that is holding the rip.

Now don’t just do what I just did and NOT SAVE YOUR DOCUMENT…
    I just lost everything and had to start again…. “Dumb Doug”…lol

So now that I’m back to where I started. The next step will be to use our “Transform Tool and manipulate the B&W layer so you have it positioned in the over-all image were it looks best.
    To do this you will use the Prospective tool, Distort tool and even the scale tool. I cannot walk to through this step so you will just have to play with it.
    Once you have it where is seems good you can create a path on this layer as you did when making the rip’s. This will allow you to add a little more (flair) to the finished product.

Next we want to use the transform tool again and manipulate the rip layer into position. Once you have it in position. Apply a drop shadow to give the rip layer a little definition.

Next we want to begin to put all the parts we have been working on and start to put the final components together.
    First, we want to position the Snow boarder and manipulate him with the transform tool to get his scale right and position correct. Next we want to duplicate the snowboarder layer and then run a “motion blur” on that duplicated layer so we can create a bit of movement. The motion blur can be found in filter>blur>motion blur.
    Finally we want to take our (color background and put a little Gaussian blur on it to give our creation a little more POP.
    You should end up with something that looks like this….

Next we want to create a matt and frame for the project and then we are done. I hope you have found this tutorial to be useful and I hope that you will put your creative hat’s on and see what wonderful things you can create using the processes I laid out in this document.
    It been fun

Al My Best

Doug Barber

14. Yes Gordon... I found a small copy on my PBase site but still cannot figure out what I did with the original....
    And YES...I'm the guy who always says.... save your stuff....lol

15. Excellent illustration/tutorial, Doug! I can tell we're going to have tons 'o fun with this new Retouching Forum!!

16. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Fantastic

Doug,

Thank you very much :>)

This is a fantastic tutorial. Aall will be busy for quite awhile!!!!! :smile:

A different OOB.... :>)))

17. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Doug - the low key, chocolate toned, portraits are your signature. Recently you posted a before and after shots of one of these. I would love to know what steps you do to darken the background and blend it in so well, and how do youget that super-rich brown color! Thanks!

18. So cool, thank you for the tutorial I will give it a go and come back with what I messed up...

19. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    I'm just blown away....

Unfortunately, I'm with Steve except that in addition to all of his issues, I lack any artistic skills whatsoever.... :rolleyes:

20. Hi Chris:
    The toning I do on those images is really not very hard at all but I’ll have to walk myself through the steps so I can articulate them with some type of accuracy.
    This will take me a little bit but I'll walk myself through it and get back to you....