1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Just got a new copy of Sigma 50 f1.4 A'm not happy! Pic @ p.8

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Aleksey, Aug 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aleksey

Aleksey

Mar 10, 2008
    New York
    After sending my Sigma 50 f1.4 to Ronkonkoma NY for the 4th time they finally replace it with a new copy! I got it today. Quick test reveal that it front focusung on both of my bodies, at least from a short distances. I don't like it! All my other Nikon lenses focusing just fine on my D40X and my D700. There are some variations, but nothing major. The only big problem I have is with Sigma lenses. I realy do hate Sigma!
    Question is, what do I do now? I really don't want to go for another 4 rounds of Sigma warranty repair to get to try another copy. Will they exchange it if I send it back, like a store would? Anybody have this experience?

Pictures added at page 8.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2009

2. I would just sell it and get the Nikon and be done with it.

3. Brodman

Brodman

Aug 26, 2007
    Knoxville, TN
    +1 on getting rid of the Sigma.

I have a Sigma 50, wouldn't part with it under any circumstances, but some just haven't had good luck.

Others have: read the few threads on the first page about being happy with theirs.

Good luck with your decision.

4. Sell it, get the Nikon, some peace of mind and some sleep.

I know it's a real pain in the arse but in the end you'll be happy. Sigma makes some nice lenses but they have a terrible track record when it comes to sample variation and front/back focus issues.

5. Aleksey

Aleksey

Mar 10, 2008
    New York
    Problem is that nobdy would wnat to buy a crapy lens. KEH don't want to buy Sigma 50 f1.4 at any price! The only way to sell it is to dupe someone, and that's a bad karma!
    Anybody want to buy my new crapy Sigma that front focusing? Send me a PM!

6. I assume it's under warranty but past the return period?

If that's the case then Sigma will honor a transfer of warranty and I would have them calibrate the lens and sell it with the warranty.

7. Sad, really -- I've had good luck with all of my Sigma lenses (150 macro, 10-20, and 24-70 HSM), but the sphincter clenches every time one arrives and I start testing. I know that eventually the lucky streak will give out...and, no... I'm not looking for a used 50 /1.4.

8. Even though my Sigma 500 HSM is my sharpest lens, I am very hesitant to buy anything Sigma.

9. itsmike

itsmike

Mar 2, 2008
    Greenlawn NY
    I am still in love with my 30F1.4..

10. Ronald M

Ronald M

Nov 10, 2008
    Chicago
    It is a known Sigma issue. I would pick one up if I saw it lying on the sidewalk.

11. pacent

pacent

Dec 18, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    You can't use the fine tune focus adjustment on your D700 to fix it, or at least make it better?

12. intruder61

intruder61

Dec 16, 2008
    australia
    sigma japan send all their crappy lenses to america:biggrin:

13. AF Fine Tune is just that. It's not supposed to compensate for a crappy lens or one that needs calibration.

14. The Sigma Macro 2.8 Primes seem to be their big winners. I have been very happy with the 50, 70, and 150.

I think the Sig 50 1.4 is quirky. I had a couple, but they were erratic. I would not be surprised if the good copies need to focused manually close up...simply the design of the lens. And at distances, focus extremely steady and careful at the wider apertures.

Just over the past few weeks I went through two zoom lenses that Sigma could not get focus correct on my Sigma SD10. Luckily I kept my eye on the return window....but the Sigma camera bodies are a whole other story:eek: 

Mike

15. Nah. Not on this lens......

Mike

16. Weston

Weston

Dec 29, 2008
    Springfield, OR
    Can you send it to Sigma to adjust?

17. He can but the issue is that his first copy was at Sigma 4 times and it was not calibrated correctly. Now he has a replacement copy and it still sucks. So the question becomes "is he willing to continue dealing with this nonsense in the hopes that he will get this copy back calibrated correctly or will he get another replacement that works as it should?". It's pot luck and very frustrating, time consuming and ties up the money longer then he would like.

18. ZoranC

ZoranC

Dec 29, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Aleksey, if I were you I would look to recover my money and just get Nikon.

19. Adkid

Adkid

Jan 3, 2009
    Portland
    It's sentiment like this that gives me faith in the FS forum here. Good for you for not dumping this on some poor unknowning soul.

If I was in your position, I would just keep pestering Sigma with returns for adjustments. Hopefully they'll get it right one of these times, but if nothing else, it makes me feel better that I'm wasting their resources for such crappy service.

20. Aleksey

Aleksey

Mar 10, 2008
    New York
    Is it possible to recover money from Sigma Corp. of America for my lemon lens? The only way I can think of is if there is a class action lawsuite. Hey, any lawyers up there want to take on Sigma?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.