Just got an F6 - some questions

(Hello! new here.)

I just bought a Nikon F6 from a camera seller in Japan. I've been hopping around with a number of film cameras and decided maybe it's about time to settle on one for the long run (We'll see how long I last with this, ha.) My experience with Nikon film cameras have been: Nikon F2, Nikon F5 (still have it, but up for sale), Nikon FM2n (just sold it). Out of the Nikons I've owned, I could definitely see myself going back to Nikon F2 as a mechanical back-up.

back to Nikon F6 - The body seems to be in amazing condition (would go so far as to say it looked better in-person than the photos provided by the seller, which is rare).

Below are photos of the F6 (with my Voigtlander Ultron 40mm SLII):

IMG_0567.JPG

IMG_0546.JPG

Some things I found out about the F6, and some questions I have:

- Is there any way to find out whether my F6 has been updated to the latest firmware? There is one firmware update for the F6, which fixes some anomalies with battery life related errors, amongst other small details. Any bodies below Serial# 18754 requires you to send it to Nikon to have them update it (Note: my F6 is below this serial # so it would not have been updated by Nikon. Beyond this serial number it comes pre-updated by Nikon. However, there is also likelihood that the seller updated it before being sold, which would be convenient.

- The body came with a Type E focussing screen. I don't think it's ideal for manual focussing, which I plan on doing mostly (for now). Does anyone know which type of focussing screen is ideal for manual focus? I heard Type L is good (it has a diagonal line), and possibly Type J (not shown on diagram)? the only information I could find out was a diagram from this Nikon F6 review video (LINK:
), but doesn't go deep into which is for manual focus. Screencap of the diagram below:

Screen Shot 2021-05-05 at 9.17.03 PM.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

- The F6 is i-TTL compatible (as far as I know, the only film camera compatible with this). Would I be able to use a modern flash on my F6 without problems (voltage-wise)? for example, I have a Godox TT350f (actually for Fuji).

- Is there any way to access information on total actuations on the F6 on your own? The only data on the settings came up was "Film Count", which said "00039", but I think this might just be the amount of film data on file, and not necessarily the total amount of films used in its lifetime. I want to think this body that I got was very seldom used, just by the look of the physical condition, but of course this can be misleading (the owner before me could have been a very meticulous studio photographer that clocked in 200,000+ shutter count? who knows.)

Anyways I hope other F6 owners could share their experience with the F6. I've only had it for a few days now. My first roll on it is Fuji Acros II currently.

Happy shooting.

Last edited:
With the MV-1 Data Reader you can download data from the camera for the last 31 to 57 rolls of film shot in the camera. Not sure that would give the info you want, but could give you some info on the past use of the camera.

Real Name
Andy
I don't know about the F6, but many of the AF bodies Nikon manufactured in that era (and after) have a focus confirmation dot that appears in the viewfinder. If the F6 has that, it might be worth a roll of film testing its accuracy before replacing the focusing screen.

I don't know about the F6, but many of the AF bodies Nikon manufactured in that era (and after) have a focus confirmation dot that appears in the viewfinder. If the F6 has that, it might be worth a roll of film testing its accuracy before replacing the focusing screen.
My F5 has that focus confirmation dot, and that is definitely a good way to test out accuracy. Upon closer inspection I realize that my F6 also does have this in the far left of the viewfinder (a lot more discreet than the one in the F5.

With the MV-1 Data Reader you can download data from the camera for the last 31 to 57 rolls of film shot in the camera. Not sure that would give the info you want, but could give you some info on the past use of the camera.
Yeah good call. Is the Meta35 dongle basically the same thing as this?

Real Name
Louie Fasvorite
Looks like Meta35 is no longer in business. It no longer works on my iMac. Just wondering if any of you all have another solution for importing the F6 data into a computer. The MV-1 isn't an option as they're very expensive if you can even find one.
I'll post this elsewhere in the forum, but thought it was relevant to the last remarks in this thread.
Thank you for your patience with a new member.
Louie

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom