Just got back from Bosque del Apache

Bosque trips are always special, and this year was no exception. Since I missed last year’s visit to Bosque, on this year’s visit I found a lot of things had changed. They’ve cut down most of the Willows along the ditch banks, which in my view, resulted in hardly any small birds in the reserve. Also, I found very few raptors possibly a result of no small birds. But there were plenty of Snow Geese and Sandhill Cranes, which most folks are looking for anyway. Didn’t find much action at the Flight Deck nor on the one crane pond on the main road.
I found most of the action in the reserve on the North Loop early in the morning and late in the evenings. Great trip overall, with the weather being rather warm, one day it got up to 69 degrees but did get down in the low 30’s and high 20’s at night.
Here's just a few shots, I'm still sorting through thousands I took.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Louie

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Nice road runner shot to open with. And the others are nice also. Sounds like temperatures were kind this year!

awesome work Louie, just outstanding...........
Thanks Darrell.
Really enjoyed looking at these.
Thank you Bear.
Not a bad one in the lot.Number 3 and 4 are my favorites.
I appreciate your comments, thanks.
Great stuff, must be an amazing place, but 30 degrees??? Another reason to enjoy your photos of this place.
Hey Bobby, many thanks and the temp does indeed go from high to low low down there.

Great shots...when I was there in November, there was very little activity near Flight Deck...or the crane ponds on the road approaching the main loop. I was there for a few days...but much of time it was overcast with very flat lighting. However, I did get some reasonable light and good action late one afternoon on the North Loop. So, it sounds like the activity pattern that I experienced in November carried through your trip in December.

Glenn

Great shots...when I was there in November, there was very little activity near Flight Deck...or the crane ponds on the road approaching the main loop. I was there for a few days...but much of time it was overcast with very flat lighting. However, I did get some reasonable light and good action late one afternoon on the North Loop. So, it sounds like the activity pattern that I experienced in November carried through your trip in December.

Glenn
Thanks very much Glenn. The light wasn't great only had a couple of mornings where I'd say it was pretty good for about 15 minutes otherwise flat. I was surprised at the lack of activity at both the flight Deck and the Crane Ponds, disappointing for sure.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom