1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Just got my Sigma 50mm 1.4 and I'm happy

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by bill-e, Aug 14, 2009.

1. bill-e

bill-e

May 10, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Hi Folks,

So there are no humans around me today to test this on so these following test subjects will have to do. I cant wait to use it on my granddaughters.

All pics are right out of the camera except for resizing...no retouching. All shots are iso 200

The first shot is of a dying flower...lousy composition but look at the sharpness. One would be hard pressed to think that this wasn't taken with a macro lens. It is shot at f16, 1/160

DSC_0692_16.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Next are a series of shots at f1.4, 2, 8 and 16.

1.4 I had to shade this shot because the sun was blowing out the details.
    DSC_0714_14.jpg

DSC_0720_2.jpg

DSC_0707_8.jpg

DSC_0709_16.jpg

Now a couple of inside pics. Both at f 1.4

DSC_0730_14.jpg

DSC_0693_14.jpg

I can't wait to shoot people but for now i'm quite happy with the lens.

2. NateS

NateS

Oct 11, 2007
    Missouri
    Cool. I love mine and get some really great shots out of it.

3. neimac

neimac

May 26, 2008
    Idaho
    Looks good, I think you will like it. I have the Nikon 50 and use it allot, I think you will enjoy yours.

4. davidC

davidC

Mar 10, 2009
    MD
    with all the threads i've read about this lens lately i'm very tempted to get one!

5. bill-e

bill-e

May 10, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Even though I've never had an issue with a Sigma lens I was worried about all the banter on the forums about sending lenses in for calibration. For that reason I purchased it from Amazon to get their protection and free return shipping.

My copy seems fine and since I have a Katz Eye installed I can tell if the AF is off before I shoot. It's been fine so far though my tests.

Plus it looks nice on my D90 :) 

d90_sig50mm.jpg

6. Congrats........its a great lens... prefer it over the nikon 50 afs, I cannot put my finger on it but I prefer the images from the Sig, over the Nikon.
    Tested both side by side, kept the Sig, returned the Nikon...

enjoy the lens....

7. bill-e

bill-e

May 10, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Yea, I went through that debate with myself and the Siggy won. As you can see from my signature line I've had good luck with Sigma.

8. billbunton

billbunton

Jan 7, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Congratulations on the lens! I'm not normally a big Sigma fan, but I've certainly enjoyed my Sigma 50/1.4.

9. Max Power

Max Power

Jan 11, 2009
    St Paul, MN
    The Siggy is a decent lens, I like mine, although one of the more difficult lenses to use, for me. Focus acquisition in low light situations is a challenge.

10. Congrats Bill, I really like mine too.

11. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    Congrats Bill - glad to hear you got a GOOD copy. :smile:

12. bill-e

bill-e

May 10, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Yesterday I went to visit my granddaughter and she was outside playing on a slip 'n slide and I turned on the video. I was quite surprised to see the high quality video and good focus when using this lens. Field of view and depth of field seem just right for recording g'kid activity without worrying about focus much.

13. bill-e

bill-e

May 10, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Just to let you know, I'm still happy :tongue:

Here's some of my grandkids. To my eye they are good, all un-retouched except for sizing/cropping IIRC.

tess_first_day_1.jpg

sophie_3.jpg

tess_1.jpg

tess_2.jpg

DSC_0994_sophie.jpg

14. What do you think about the size of it? I'm considering getting a 50 1.4 for super speed and as a lightweight kit, but it seems like the Sigma is still quite large and heavy. I've never gotten to handle one though, only ever had the Nikon 1.8D, which is a great lightweight lens.

15. bill-e

bill-e

May 10, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I'm probably not the right person to ask about this because I'm not looking for a lightweight kit. I do bring my 50 out on a lot of occasions where before I would take the 18-200 and one of the reasons for that is that it is smaller and lighter than that lens. But the main reason I use it, probably the most of all my lenses, is the focal length, the speed and bokeh. The fact that it's smaller and lighter than my 18-200 is simply a bonus for me.

Before I bought this I did try both the Nikon 50mm 1.4D and G and both were smaller/lighter but to my eye neither had the pleasing rendering of the Siggy.

16. bigshot

bigshot

Aug 17, 2008
    Hollywood, USA
    The Sigma 50 is not lightweight by any stretch of the imagination. But it is fantastic for available light portraiture with DX. For the D700, I can't say whether it has any advantage over the Nikon, but on DX it definitely does. I would guess if you are shooting FF, bulk doesn't matter that much to you.

17. Trevor04GT

Trevor04GT

Jan 1, 2009
    Waco
    Wow, looks amazing!

18. splitpin

splitpin

Jul 29, 2009
    England
    its nice to see someone pleased with there lens
    i wish you well in captureing the moments with it

19. ariel777

ariel777

Mar 14, 2009
    Cambria, CA
    I too like my Siggy 50/1.4 and have had no problems with it. Enjoy it.

20. Bill those girls are about as cute as they can get. Very nice shots. Hold on to the mouthful of candy shot for when she starts dating. :biggrin:

I have five grand daughters so I can appreciate the pictures.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.