Just got my Tamron 90 in

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by daryleg, Sep 20, 2008.

1. daryleg

daryleg

Jan 12, 2008
    USA
    Thanks to all the advice I got here I ordered the Tamron 90 and I got the new one with the built in motor. It is fantastic BUT very tricky. Manual focus is very tough to achieve even on a tripod. The green focus light will show up in my viewfinder, but making it stay is like getting an 18 month old to eat peas...it can be done, but is the aggravation worth it :smile:

So the question is am I missing something or is it just me?

2. monkay

monkay

Jun 12, 2008
    New Jersey
    interested in your impressions of this lens. go out and shoot something!

3. While I'm not the biggest fan of Liveview, it really works very well for Macro work. Have you tried focusing using Liveview?

4. Leif

Leif

Feb 12, 2006
    England
    For macro you probably should not use the green focus light. DOF is so shallow that the camera has no idea what part of the subject should be sharp. The fact that your lens is F2.8 helps, but what I sometimes do is gently rack the focus in and out to find out where the plane of focus is, and then set the focus as required. The older lens has a nicely geared focus mechanism. I hope the new one has not reduced the amount of throw to improve the AF?

5. daryleg

daryleg

Jan 12, 2008
    USA
    Robert, I have not tried Liveview but I will. Leif I do not have an old Tamron to test but the new one does seem to have very little throw. I use the green dot to let me know if it is in focus because my eyes can fool me. It s hard to get what I want in focus whether I am 2" or 10' away from the subject.

6. daryleg

daryleg

Jan 12, 2008
    USA
    After spending several hours today playing with the Tamron I can say I am very happy. Getting exact focus seems to be an art form, just got to train my eyes to do it. Here are a few from earlier that I am happy with...not nearly as great as I have seen on here, but I am learning :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rest can be found here if you would like to look :
    http://daryleg.smugmug.com/gallery/6027032_ZwVH8#377186162_xq5Fp

I got a lot to learn, but I am confident this lens will help me do it.