Just got some new stuff

Discussion in 'Formal Portraits and Weddings' started by 06FZ6, Aug 15, 2008.

1. 06FZ6

06FZ6

Dec 28, 2007
    Savannah, TX
    I just got another SB600, a SB800, two Alzo 15 X 15 softboxes, stands, brackets, and a bunch of other stuff. I have NEVER worked with anything but a SB600 with a GF Cloud on it. I am posting this in hopes of real, honest CC. This is my son Zac, he wasn't really in the mood to be photographed this evening, but I talked him into it. Please pardon the hair:tongue:

[​IMG]

2. topher04r1

topher04r1 Guest

LOL he looks thrilled ! ..... congrats on the new gear !!

3. It's under exposed. Go into Levels and move the right pointer toward the left until it's under where the data begins. Always check the Levels.

4. 06FZ6

06FZ6

Dec 28, 2007
    Savannah, TX
    Hooray for great instruction. Not only did you tell me to use levels to correct it, you instructed me on where to put the settings. This is feedback which others should emulate. Thank you very much. To prove that I listen and am capable of making the suggested corrections...

[​IMG]

I think this is a wonderful improvement.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2008
  5. The levels adjustment made a huge difference! As far as the lighting goes, I'm sure with practice you'll have to do few adjustments in photoshop. Have fun with your new gear and post more portraits of that cute kiddo!

6. Good correction Shane. Now I would work on getting some light onto the hair of your subject. Either a hair light or a reflector to bounce some light into that area. Next, watch the errant hairs and correct them before taking the image. Congrats on your new equipment.

7. 06FZ6

06FZ6

Dec 28, 2007
    Savannah, TX
    Thank you Gordon.

I plan on practicing all weekend with my lighting. I knew the hair was a problem, Zac wasnt prepared to tolerate me fixing his hair.

This photo was taken with my two 600s. I think next I will try the 800 as my main in one box, one 600 in the other, and the other 600 as a hair light. Please be patient with me folks, I see a lot of posting coming up this weekend! :tongue: