1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

just hanging on (I'm a caterpillar)

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by VictorM, Jun 20, 2007.

1. This caterpillar was hanging on a leaf that was hanging by a thin thread (spiderweb?)

Taken with D70s, 105VR, R1C1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one isn't really "hanging on" in the same way, but I thought I'd share them all.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2007
  2. hairy little guy. you got what i'm hunting for......DOF. great shot

laurie

3. NO. The thread is produced by the caterpillar. I am fairly certain that this is one of the TUSSOCK MOTH larvae. LYMANTRIIDAE.

I stand to be corrected on this, but I think that the catty has chewed the leaf off the stem of the plant and has suspended it away from the plant so that it can eat it in peace.

Bob F.

4. thanks Laurie, I'm getting better at the DOF, but it's still challenging. The flash is helping a lot.

5. That is very cool Bob, I love learning about this stuff. And thanks for the ID.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.